Base layers in summer?

Legobrickman
Legobrickman Posts: 36
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi everyone and anyone.
I've just made the switch to road riding and have a question regarding base layers.
I always thought they were meant for cold weather but after digging arounf the internet seems there is a reason for wearing them in summer months.

The question is...Does it realy need to be a specificly designed base layer or would a running top E.g. a sleveles addidas climacool be sufficient?

Many thanks

Comments

• giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    Most of the time in the UK you would be advised to wear at least one base layer under the jersey. This also helps to protect you if you fall - one layer will slide over the other.
    Your existing top sounds fine, but on cooler (say under 20-24degrees or so) another layer as well might be advisable.
  • Thanks for that.
    It just seems strange to be wearing so many layers as i can quite happily run for miles in down to 2 or 3 degrees in a climacool and maybe one very thin layer and even then overheat.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    As you go faster the windchill has a greater effect.
    When you are climbing in winter you quickly start to sweat. Descending the other side and all the sweat can freeze and it gets COLD!

Just see how you get on. Good thing about cycling kit is you have full length zips that look even more badass when undone, so wrap up, then peel off as you warm up? You'll soon work out what's too hot
  • alleztoz
    alleztoz Posts: 8
    Yes the windchill on the bike is so much more than when running, also maybe i shouldn't say it here but generally running is harder work too! However personally in the summer, 16+ deg, I would just wear a jersey.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yes I had to get out of that mindset too. Would have been out in winter in tee and tights with gloves but that doesn't work at all on a bike!
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    For temperatures under 10 degrees, I always wear a base layer under my long sleeve thermal top, ski socks, overshoes & my nanoflex 3/4 bibs and wear thick leather fleece lined gloves.

For temperatures between 10 and 15 degrees I wear only my thermal long sleeve top with no baselayer & my 3/4 nanoflex bibs, on warmer days I loose the overshoes and wear spring gloves.

For temperatures over 15 degrees I wear summer bibs and short sleeve zipped top which in really hot weather can be unzipped for extra ventilation and no gloves.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I suppose there are base layers and then there are base layers.

The technologically designed modern products are made from complex fibres that wick away moisture so you are not left with wet skin. They are also designed to dry quickly.

This helps to keep you cool so that is where it makes sense to have one even in the summer.

You can get sleeveless or short sleeve to suit and the ones like string vests look pro :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Always wear mine, keeps me cool in the hot. Also protects against UV rays.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    giropaul wrote:
    This also helps to protect you if you fall - one layer will slide over the other.

I speak from experience with this. I wore a cheap primark base layer 2 springs ago and came a cropper and would have trashed my Foska top if it wasn't for the base layer. It didn't prevent the brake lever going into my thigh though. :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's got to be very warm before I don't wear a base layer.
    I've not noticed a difference between cheap aldi ones and the big brand names.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Odd as I notice a considerable difference between my helly (the stinky one) and my Endura Baa Baa - especially when its hovering around 0. Both worn under an Assos Prosline (the predecessor to the 851)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've never worn one in the summer but see the pros in blazing heat in those netted vest style ones?

I'm not a sucker for buying stuff cos the pros use them but interested if these are any good?
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    iPete wrote:
    I've never worn one in the summer but see the pros in blazing heat in those netted vest style ones?

I'm not a sucker for buying stuff cos the pros use them but interested if these are any good?

They are excellent, mainly because they hold the next layer away from the skin, ensuring that you stay dry. I use one all year - under the wicking layer when colder, and under the jersey when warm.
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    iPete wrote:

I use them every time but if you feel fine without one, don't bother. They're extremely light and you don't even feel them once worn. They help with wind and sweat but I just use them because I don't like the feel of the jersey on my skin.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    iPete wrote:

I'm a sucker, send me a link please! :D
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I use one in the summer too, a good one just pulls the sweat away from the body , quite neat really.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    I've got a sleeveless Adidas Climacool - it's a good base layer with a nice bit of compression to it too.

In my current base layer arsenal I've got:

1 x sleeveless 'string' - summer
    1 x shorts sleeve 'string' - summer
    1 x sleeveless Adidas Climacool – summer morning/evening rides
    1 x short sleeve merino – spring/autumn
    1 x long sleeve merino – cold spring/autumn, winter
    1 x long sleeve thin windproof – spring/summer/autumn

Might seem a ridiculous amount of base layers but they all get used. The latter two are perfect for wearing as the only layer under a waterproof if you know it’s going to be a wet ride from start to finish. It does an excellent job of regulating temperature without becoming boil in the bag, regardless of the level of exertion.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I always wear a base layer, even in 35c heat - it will just be a mesh one though to aid wicking and for me it feels more comfortable than having a soaked-through jersey on my skin (they don't make you feel any hotter IME).
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I've got a few Prendas Climacool baselayers for the summer. They work perfectly. Providing a nice amount of insulation against the windchill when descending. If i start to overheat, i drop the zip on my jersey down to bellybutton height.
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    anto164 wrote:
    I've got a few Prendas Climacool baselayers for the summer. They work perfectly. Providing a nice amount of insulation against the windchill when descending. If i start to overheat, i drop the zip on my jersey down to bellybutton height.

Do you wear your medallion if theres a chance you might need to drop the zip? ;)

110367-pimp-medaillon-pimp-medallion-985-8420.jpg?fm=jpg&q=65