Training for first race London 100 4th Aug 13

issyoakes
issyoakes Posts: 4
edited March 2013 in Health, fitness & training
Hi All,

I've just joined bikeradar.com as I've just signed up to do the Prudential 100 this summer. I've never trained for a long distance ride before and have never cycled in a group or bike race of any kind.
I have however trained for the London marathon which I completed last year, so I'm used to getting into a training routine etc.
The first question I have may seem like it has an obvious answer, I don't know, so forgive me if I seem dumb!
What kind of roads are best for training? I commute to work across London every day (an hour each way on the bike), but there's so much stop and start that I couldn't imagine this would be suitable for long distance training. How would I get up any speed for any length of time? I live in East London, so should I be heading out towards Epping forest for long distances? I see lots of people heading out there on a Sunday- Perhaps there's a website with suggested routes that someone knows about? I've had a look but can't see anything obvious. Running long distance is easy, you can do it anywhere, but cycling is different.

Should I join a group to get experience in cycling in a group? I'm terrified I'll get something wrong on the day and cause some kind of huge pile up!

Should I get a better bike? I currently have a specialzed vita which I love for commuting. I'm on a budget, so could think of a second hander, but I wouldn't know where to start looking.

Any advise, tips, maps, etc would be most appreciated. Running I'm fine with, serious cycling is new to me. I want to get stuck in and do it right.

THanks in advance
Issy

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Hi Issy
    Welcome to bikeradar !
    sounds like you have a descent enough level of fitness and commuting every day will give you a good base.
    It all depends how competative you want to be on this 100 miler ?
    TBH take it easy and your probably be ok with your fitness....taking it easy aka not rushing it !
    ideally you want to be doing 2 - 4hr rides...say 60 - 70miles at a steady rate solid....if you can ride this your be fine doing 100miles on the day. Just remember to fuel up before / during / after.
    I live east London and hit Epping few times a week (yeh nightriding...fun in london lol) its a good run out as its up-hill...nice 20% climb up to Epping; its a good week blast :-)
    keep with your commuting and get a 70miler ish at the weekend and you more then fine.
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your encouraging words! It's made feel a bit better.
    I think I'll get the map out this weekend and start planning a route around Epping forest way.
    I'm not in the race to come first! More to set myself an achievable personal challenge, keep fit and raise some money for charity too.
    Thanks again, happy cycling!
    Issy
  • Epping forest is a good place to have practice. I have never been there but heard from a friend who went there often. All the best with the preparations.
    Womens casual shoes
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Don't worry too much about the structure of the event, as it's not a true race it won't be a full 'peloton', just lots of little (and some larger) groups, frankly not much different to commuting in London! You're not going to have 100+ riders barrelling along together 2" from each other though, don't worry!
    Running long distance is easy, you can do it anywhere, but cycling is different.

Doesn't have to be - you can ride anywhere, some places are nicer for sure!

Do you have a club locally you can ride with? They can show you some routes and you'll get used to group riding etiquette - just don't do anything suddenly.
  • Hi All,
    Thanks so much for the encouraging tips and advice. I must admit I'm looking forward to getting out and adventuring on my bike.
    You're right njee20, running is usually around grubby London roads. It'll be nice to see some trees and get into some cleaner air!
    As for the group thing, I guess you're right about that. There will be lots of people like me with less experience as well, so probably less concentrated groupings. Having had encouragement from you guys has helped me to relax a bit!
    I have to say I'm really looking forward to it all now. I don't know Surrey really, so it'll be great to have the luxury of cycling through it without cars and with a great atmosphere!

Thanks again. Issy