Re-converting SS back to gears

kevinharley
kevinharley Posts: 554
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Back in the autumn, converted my Boardman Team Hardtail to SS ... which I have loved!

However, I've a weekend trip coming up to Snowdonia at the start of April, and the SS just won't get me up Snowdon, and as its the only MTB I've got, I've no choice but to put (some?) of the gears back on!

The bike was a 2x10 set up. When I did the SS conversion, I simply took off the outer chainwheel, and used my innner chainwheel (27t) paired with a 14 t SS cog at the back.

I don't think I'll need the outer chainwheel for Snowdonia (I'm only putting the gears back on to get up the steep bits!) so am thinking I'll revert to a 1 x 10 set up.

Do I need a chain device? Should I reinstall the front mech to keep the chain from coming off the chainwheel? Or can I simply put on the cassette, rear mech and shifter, and leave the front mech and shifter off the bike?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No, yes, no.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kevinharley
    Simples .. Cheers!

Presumably I don't need to connect the front mech to the shifter? Won't its default position be in line with the inner chainring?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Use the limit screws to put it where you want it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Don't you just shave the beard and change the sandles to shoes?
  • kevinharley
    Didn't realise SS had hippy connotations? :?

I do have a beard (of sorts), but posess no sandals ... have just enjoyed the lighter weight, lack of mech's clunking around, simpler handlebars, greater chuckability of the bike, more direct transfer of power to the wheels, lower maintenance etc ... for 95% of my riding (local trails in and around Leeds) it has made perfect sense!

Obviously, what would make more sense is to have a second, full suss, geared bike for bigger terrain ... then I could keep myself unshaven and sandaled :wink: ... but a hippy's pay doesn't stretch to that at the moment ...