tubless tyres with a presta valve

mgoodwinz
mgoodwinz Posts: 5
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
New to this so please, let me ramble.
Recently purchased a GT Avalanche 1.0 2013, great bike for me, does all I want. My question is with regards the tyres. I have tubless Maxiss tyres, with presta valves. I would like to pour / inject some sealant (like Slime) into the tyre, reducing the risk of punctures slowing me down. As far as I’m aware, this isn’t possible?
So what do you guys do, I can’t be the only person with tubless tyres with a presta valve who needs to seal them.
I do a bit of offloading & some commuting to & from work.
If you respond I can’t promise I won’t ask another stupid question… :) much appreciated.
Cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    remove the core?

get new valves with removable cores.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thanks for the quick reply,
    is that easy to do? Any advice on the sealent?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    How about just easing a section of tyre off the rim, pouring the sealant in and then pumping them up? Not difficult at all!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • wont that clog the presta valve?
    if its that easy no wonder i cant find a bloomin vid / isntruction page...

you guys use Stans?
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    just to be clear - you're already running them tubeless? Or do you just have tubeless ready tyres but are using tubes? If the latter then you can use slime in the tube (or even Stans) but it's not ideal and you have to have a removeable core tube for it to work.
    If you already running tubeless then the valve should have a removable core (if not switch them, Stan's ones work well) and use the Stans injector to inject the sealant through it. You can also just create a gap in the bead and pour some in but that gets to be a hassle IME.
    If you're not running tubeless and want to convert then you'll need the valves and rim tape, or possibly rim strips (that include the valve) depending on the rims you have
  • tubless already, thank you. Great help guys :)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If you already running tubeless then the valve should have a removable core (if not switch them, Stan's ones work well) and use the Stans injector to inject the sealant through it. You can also just create a gap in the bead and pour some in but that gets to be a hassle IME.

IMO removing the valve core and using the injector is more hassle than popping off a bit of the bead and sloshing some more sealant in - the the OP that's all I do.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    How about just easing a section of tyre off the rim, pouring the sealant in and then pumping them up? Not difficult at all!

Yeah, I've always done that. Especially once they've had 1 lot of sealant, they'll get properly glued on.