Economic nutrition

fsd61b
fsd61b Posts: 109
edited March 2013 in Road general
Im going abroad in April to get some warm miles in and have started to think about nutrition on bike. On longer rides ,club runs,reliability trials etc I have been drinking water and taking a couple of mars bars or cadburys brunch bars. This wont work in the warm climate, so, in view of the impending workload and temperature I am wanting to go prepared but not at any cost. Iv'e looked at the offers via the BC benefits but seems a bit steep for gels, powder and bars so I want to get the correct stuff.
Any pointers?

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Bananas?

Depends what country your going to? But you can always make your own or buy cheap local produce. Flapjacks are a fav of mine, but I do make my own an they are super cheap and only put in what I want.

Have had this book bought for me as a christmas present - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1934 ... UTF8&psc=1 & have made a few of the pocketable foods for the ride.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Fig rolls are always nice and can survive a bit of heat. Not always easy to eat solids going up/down a mountain though so depends on the kind of riding you'll be doing.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Dates (especially medjools) FTW.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Flapjack, google it and find a recipe, 10 mins to make and 18 to bake but always bake a little longer to avoid sticky flapjack, add sliced almonds and orange zest to improve the taste.
    I cut it into 1 inch pieces and have a piece from 15 miles and every 15 miles after on rides over 40 miles, i find no need for energy drinks but i'll drop an electrolyte tablet in my water during warm weather.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Fruit, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, flap jacks, energy bars all good in 'warm' weather.

We do 'ave real food in our shops here abroad too don't ya know :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • fsd61b
    Thanks all,
    I see a definite theme emerging. I quite like the idea of making my own food and this will be a good incentive to start and 4 weeks to practice!I cant understand why I have never considered this before.
    Now, how to knit my own bib shorts.......
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    fsd61b wrote:

As I always see other posters saying in the road beginners section - use the search function, I'm sure that someone will have posted the question before. :lol:
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • fsd61b
    fsd61b wrote:

As I always see other posters saying in the road beginners section - use the search function, I'm sure that someone will have posted the question before. :lol:

Lets not dwell on that, horrible visions have jumped into my head!
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Where are you going? Your not one of these that's packs English tea as well ar you? I've never been anywhere where you cannot buy bananas.
  • dab_32
    dab_32 Posts: 94
    Sportspursuit.com have Nectar gels nearly half price at the mo, 24 gels for £19.80. Don't expect fast delivery though.

http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/nectar-nutrition
  • fsd61b
    Where are you going? Your not one of these that's packs English tea as well ar you? I've never been anywhere where you cannot buy bananas.
    Never felt the need to pack english tea, I'm not inexperienced traveling just cycling and was only enquiring what was recommended (that wont melt).
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Soreen Malt Loaf, cut into slices (or buy ready sliced) and put in foil wraps.
  • Grill wrote:
    Dates (especially medjools) FTW.

+1 I am a convert :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Flapjacks and bananas great food on the bike
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Have to agree with the Soreen suggestion- 57p a loaf at the Co-op. how silly do I now feel forking out £1.50 for an energy bar with no more carb content!

Stick it in your back pocket(wrapped!) and as it warms up it stays nice and moist. Always turned my nose up at it until I recently started cycling.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Much as I do love malt loaf, I wouldn't fancy chomping away on it whilst climbing a hill for 30 minutes or so. Obviously if you're only training you could have a rest at the top and chow down. If you want some energy whilst climbing though I think you might find other stuff slightly easier to get down.