Ditching granny and middle rings on the commuter

evillittlegoat
evillittlegoat Posts: 89
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I havent dropped from the big ring in ages, 42 up front and 32 at the back seems to be plenty. The big ring is slipping a bit now so ordered a replacement renthal jobbie. I want to bin the middle/granny, will I need shorter chainring bolts? Anyone recommend a cheap source?

What about chainline? There doesnt appear to be enough chainstay clearance to run 42 in the middle position. Can I shuffle the BB spacers all over to the non driveside to bring it in a bit? Will that knacker the cranks/my knees?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I run a single on my commuter, good move (46T on mine driving a 26-11 out back).

Single chainring bolts - ebay or CRC or many other places! About £6-8 a set.

What crankset/BB? External bearing I guess as you mention spacers.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes you will and mount the ring where the middle ring was if you can. see how it is first.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheers lads. Yes Beginner, its a Shimano HTII. Any problem with shifting the spacers all over to the the other side? I think its a 68mm BB so doing that could bring the ring in by 5mm which would help.

I'll try Nicklouse but I dont think its gonna happen.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Cheers lads. Yes Beginner, its a Shimano HTII. Any problem with shifting the spacers all over to the the other side? I think its a 68mm BB so doing that could bring the ring in by 5mm which would help.
    so the same place as if you put it on where the big ring would be but your feet will move to the right.

like I said see how it is and then see.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown