New bike upgrade

iGaz
iGaz Posts: 36
edited March 2013 in Road general
Ok so I ride a Trek 4.9 Madone which I have loved for 2 years. Before this I had a Trek 4.5 and before that I had a Canondale which was my 1st road bike.

Since going from Canondale to Trek I just ended up sticking with Trek as I got so used to the bikes that I didn't feel the need to change Brands but instead upgrade in models.

So having climbed up the ladder slowly I am now upgrading to a New bike and am thinking Trek Madone 5.2 or 5.9 which has a big price jump between the two or the New Domane Models which I have not really looked into that much. I have never even ridden a Domane but from what I have read the only difference is it's a little more comfortable to be plain about it. I don't have a specific Domane model I am interested in as I don't know a great deal about them but someone I know who works in a bike shop has said that they have been selling like hot cakes compared to the Madones.

Do you think that it's just because of the new Model being out they are selling more or will it be because the Domane Model is better than the Madone.

I have never gone wrong with Madone and feel reluctant to change incase I am not happy once I do some long rides but my concern is I get the Madone only to find out Domane has done something better.

Has anyone had any experience with these bikes thanks.

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I know someone who's got both a Madone and a Domane - he says the Madone is a fair bit faster (although it does have much better wheels + groupset) but the Domane is so comfortable he can't believe it.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • andyk19
    andyk19 Posts: 170
    I compared the Domane and Madone when choosing my new bike last summer, in the end opting for a Madone 3 series.

The principle difference is that the Madone is a more traditional race bike (although the H2 geometry available on all models has some concessions to comfort). Therefore it has a longer top tube and shorter headtube, leading to a greater effective reach between saddle and bars, than the Domane. This results is a more aerodynamic riding position and slightly better handling characteristics in a race.

The Domane is less race orientated and more aimed at sportive and endurance riding (although that's not to say it wouldn't be capable in a race, indeed it would be a good choice for a rough course). As such the reduced reach will give a slightly more upright riding position, which will reduce back pain and other fatigue. I imagine the frame is also a little more forgiving than the Madone (which is likely to be touch stiffer), again making it more comfortable on long rides.
    The technical innovation which Trek claims the Madone to have is the Isospeed decoupler at the seattube/toptube junction. This is said to reduce road vibration and make the ride more comfortable.

It would be wrong to say one is better than another, they are each suited to a particular kind of riding and will be best at that. My advice would be that if you're predominantly a competitive rider, have aspirations of such or are young/felxible opt for the Madone. On the other hand if Sportives, long distance club rides etc are your preferred kind of riding get a Domane; as I say you could still race on it quite competitively. I imagine that's why your friend in the shop sells lots of Domanes, for the average customer it will be the most appropriate bike.
  • iGaz
    iGaz Posts: 36
    andyk19 wrote:
    I compared the Domane and Madone when choosing my new bike last summer, in the end opting for a Madone 3 series.

The principle difference is that the Madone is a more traditional race bike (although the H2 geometry available on all models has some concessions to comfort). Therefore it has a longer top tube and shorter headtube, leading to a greater effective reach between saddle and bars, than the Domane. This results is a more aerodynamic riding position and slightly better handling characteristics in a race.

The Domane is less race orientated and more aimed at sportive and endurance riding (although that's not to say it wouldn't be capable in a race, indeed it would be a good choice for a rough course). As such the reduced reach will give a slightly more upright riding position, which will reduce back pain and other fatigue. I imagine the frame is also a little more forgiving than the Madone (which is likely to be touch stiffer), again making it more comfortable on long rides.
    The technical innovation which Trek claims the Madone to have is the Isospeed decoupler at the seattube/toptube junction. This is said to reduce road vibration and make the ride more comfortable.

It would be wrong to say one is better than another, they are each suited to a particular kind of riding and will be best at that. My advice would be that if you're predominantly a competitive rider, have aspirations of such or are young/felxible opt for the Madone. On the other hand if Sportives, long distance club rides etc are your preferred kind of riding get a Domane; as I say you could still race on it quite competitively. I imagine that's why your friend in the shop sells lots of Domanes, for the average customer it will be the most appropriate bike.

Cheers Andy great reply. Yeah I love my Madones and was totally put off the Domane at first until I seen a race had been won on it which give me the impression it must still have the agression to win a race but just not as rigid so thats why I am on here now just to look a bit more. All my rides are long mostly never less than 85mile I like to stay out for long periods so maybe it my be a good purchase if I go with Domane but as the old saying goes don't fix what isn't broke and I have never had a single issue with Madone so it's not easy decision. It's different sitting on them in a shop and then trying it over 100 miles so no point trying it in shop. Going up manchester tomorrow to have a better look but I want it for 2nd week of this month as it'ssssssss BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE time lol.

Thanks for response anyway will let you know what I go with.
  • andyk19
    andyk19 Posts: 170
    No worries, I'm sure either will be a good choice!

I think Fabian Cancellara is riding a Domane (albeit a bit modified) this season, he used one for Le Tour last year, if it's good enough for Fabian...
  • gbrownzen
    gbrownzen Posts: 18
    I bought a Domane 5.9 just over a month ago as my first proper road bike. As I was coming from a Hybrid and my aim was to ride more I chose the greater comfort. I have no intention of racing, apart from trying to keep up with my mates of course. I did try a quick test ride on a Madone 5.2 last year, but it was a long stretch to the bars for me and my back ached after just a short ride, or perhaps I'm just fitter now?

I posted a few comments in the Your Bikes forum here http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12905657, if you're interested.

I guess it boils down to if you are already comfortable on the Madone and like the harder edge, or would prefer to have a bit more comfort. The Domane has the isospeed frame to give more vertical movement in the seat post and it does soak up bumps that you can still feel through the bars. It also has slightly wider 25mm tires and a more upright riding position. The Madone 5.9 has the low level rear brake, which you may think is cool or you may think is in the wrong place. Everything else looks to be much the same.

I also really like the Trek range, with the little touches like the duotrap integrated speed/cadence sensor and the internal cable routing.

I am very happy with my Domane 5.9, it's light (7.4 kg without pedals), stiff and comfortable. I test rode a 5.2 but chose the 5.9 for the electric groupset, the lighter wheels and saddle and I preferred the colour scheme. The Race Lite wheels are great, and a few hundred grams less than the Race wheels on the 5.2 but apart from helping to justify the differential it all boils down to whether you want di2 or not. On the steepest hills I do sometime wonder if I shouldn't have gone with the 5.2 with a triple! The di2 on the 5.9 will not go any lower than 50/34 and 11-28.

I'm building up from my normal 12 mile rides aiming for a 54 mile charity run in a couple of months. Went out yesterday and did 35 miles, including some fairly steep hills (hitting 13% gradient which for me was a struggle). I don't have too much trouble keeping up with my friend on his slightly lighter Scott CR1 SL, but I do appreciate the comfort. Still managed to get 38.3 mph out of a compact gearset.

My friend chose the Scott over either of the Trek's as he preferred the more conventional frame and mechanical Dura Ace groupset, just wanted to stick with what he was used to. He still went for the SL as it has a flex frame to give greater comfort.

Good Luck with your choice, all the 5 series Trek's are really great bikes.

Cheers,

Geoff
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Re: the compact 50:11 is actually higher than 53:12 (as far as I understand) so you shouldn't really be short of speed.

Calcs here:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index ... 10207.html
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Has anyone told Cancellara that the Domane is slower ?