Problem changing puncture - Advice please

mogrigg
mogrigg Posts: 73
edited March 2013 in MTB general
Morning all.
Cycling into work this morning and ended up with a puncture, which doesn't happen to me often and needless to day I'm not the most confident person changing a puncture etc.. I'm not entirely sure if my going down the steps at the canal lock was the cause of the puncture, or just one of those things.

However, I managed to change the inner-tube and get the wheel back on (feeling quite proud of myself, being a girl and having a whole host of workmen not far from me watching, no doubt in great amusement), but couldn't get the tyre to pump up enough. I can only assume that I had some of the inner-tube pinched between the wheel and the tyre? Would that be correct or is there any other possible cause.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Maybe there was more than one puncture. If you did it going down steps then it couls be a 'pinch flat' which is caused by the edge of the step compressing the tyre and hence the tube beneath it on to the rim. Typically this looks like a snake bite - ie two holes/ small tears. So maybe you did not notice the other puncture. Forget about workmen - that is why they are workmen.
  • mogrigg
    Thanks Lagrange I'll have to make a note of that for the future. However, I actually changed the inner-tube to a new fresh one, which is why I'm puzzled.
    I'll have to look at the old one at the weekend and see what had happened and see if it is repairable.
  • Did you check the tyre for the cause of the puncture?
    Don't worry about rain - skin is waterproof
  • mogrigg
    No, didn't check the tyre (rookie mistake) but it didn't deflate as I rode it back home..I just couldn't inflate it anymore. Looks like an investigative weekend!!! :)
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Sounds like you had all the bases covered then if you changed the inner for a new one. If it were me I'd go and have a look at lunch and try pumping it up, once your nice and calm you can take your time and rush. It might be that your didn't have the pump seated fully & in a rush might not have noticed? I know I have done it myself as I was so busy checking the tyre and getting the new inner in.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Hi moggrigg. You don't mention what valves you were using, presta or schrader? Apologies if I treat you like 'a girl' but you may not know the difference but the schrader are like car tyre valves and you just seat the pump squarely and press down on these to pump them. Presta valves have a little screw on the top that need to be undone before pumping and then tightened again after. If you were using the latter you may not have had the screw undone enough to allow the pressure in easily? Just a thought. :)

More info here

http://practicalbiking.org/2010/05/the-differences-between-schrader-and-presta-inner-tube-valves.html/
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Might not of had the nipples unscrewed properly? Maybe it's just your pump is shocking?

Will probably be something very simple...
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    was it that you could not get anymore air in or was the air coming out as you were trying?

If you struggled to get enough air in then I would possibly suspect the pump but if you heard air hissing out then your pump was likely not seated correctly on the valve.
  • mogrigg
    It's a presta valve and yeah I did turn the little screw!!!!. The pump just wouldn't pump anymore, like it was full but the tyre was still soft. I did hear a bit of hissing too, but only when trying to push it down, but couldn't because the resistance was just too hard. Don't think it's my pump, it's not a bad one.

Thanks for all your help/advice. Hope I manage to sort it at the weekend now!!
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Sounds like the seal when you put the pump on.

I get it with my home large pump on a presta valve where the screw is undone and when I put the pump on it goes on perfectly & you can pump but the air gets locked and does not make it into the tyre. Simple fix is just to take the pump off & put it back on and it seems to work OK.

It is my back up pump as I have a floor pump I use at home.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Maybe it's just your pump is shocking?

Could be the most likely thing. What is it?
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Might not of had the nipples unscrewed properly? Maybe it's just your pump is shocking?

Will probably be something very simple...

You can't ask a girl if she had her nipples unscrewed properly. :oops:
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    It's a presta valve and yeah I did turn the little screw!!!!. The pump just wouldn't pump anymore, like it was full but the tyre was still soft
    Often worth operating the valve in a few times with your finger after you've unscrewed it. Presta valves can become quite sticky/corroded and the pump won't be able to move the valve if it's stuck.
  • FatMikeUK
    FatMikeUK Posts: 51
    Having recently moved from schraeders (sp?) to prestas on all of my bikes I can tell you that if you get the angle of the pump head slightly wrong it will refuse to pump up. Even with a track pump it can be a real hassle and take a few goes at getting it on square before it'll allow me to pump them up.