After a carbon or carbon wrap stem £60<

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,940
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
I bought one of these recently:
59629.jpg

£46 in the CRC private sale thingy - writing on the side said to tighten it between 6-8nm, so used my newly purchased torque wrench and set it to 8nm, and it cracked it :shock:
Cannot tell how badly it has gone, but e-mailed CRC some pics, and explained the situation, and fair dues (I've always had cracking service from them) they have come back to offer a refund or a replacement.

Has anyone out there seen any carbon or carbon wrap stems out there for a similar price, or up to £60 if it's especially nice - I'm after a 70 or 80mm stem, and it's for my Felt not my commuter.

Cheers

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Must just be a defective unit, i dont have the same brand but I do have plenty of carbon stems and bars, however the only one i've broken was Aluminum.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Just a thought... you did do the bolts up roughly equally first, right? I.e. you didn't just wind one up to the maximum torque setting straight off, leaving the other bolt loose?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • daniel_b
    itboffin wrote:
    Must just be a defective unit, i dont have the same brand but I do have plenty of carbon stems and bars, however the only one i've broken was Aluminum.

Thanks for that ITB, would you go for the same again?

Has to be said, I am new to torque wrenches and to carbon components really - but I know I set the nm correctly - in hindsight I suppose I should have gone for the lowest stated.

Just seen this (Top one) which looks tempting, though not a perfect colour combo for my felt :shock:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/deda-35-trentacinque-stem/dedahbss740
    DEDAHBSS740_1_large.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    Yeh go for the same but use carbon compound to help with the torque, tighten each bolt by hand one at a time until the slack is gone then finish with a torque wrench. Cross pattern of course for instance if you numbered the bolts 1-4 ; 1-2 at the top and 3-4 at the bottom, then i would do 1,4,2,3 half torque on each at first then full using the same pattern.

Might sound over the top but I have carbon, stem, bars, seatpost and saddle rails and none of those have slipped and none are over 6nm with carbon slip compound and i'm no Wiggo build-wise.

Obviously i'll kick his skinny arse on the road, obviously :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Just go for Alu. They are almost as light (if not lighter in some cases) and a far better bet in my book. There's a reason most of the pros stick with Alu stems - if you crash then Alu may bend whereas carbon may break...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Carbon wrap = bling plus durable. As long as its a decent one, otherwise it can also = HEAVY!

Kind of agree with IP, its really not necessary, but it does look nice. When I get round to it I have some carbon bars to fit to my best bike having been an alloy for the past year (after I wrecked previous carbon ones in a crash). I should add though that I crashed my commuter and wrecked my alu bars - neither are immune to damage. I guess alu is generally a lot cheaper though, plus its easier to ride a bent bar than one that has snapped in two...
  • itboffin
    I should also add that my 3T carbon bars do flex, but then unlike most cyclists I actually have upper body muscles :lol:
  • daniel_b
    Thanks guys - I didn't explain properly, it was not the faceplate, but the two bolts where I secured it onto the forks - and I tightened them up bit by bit.

CRC are sending me out a new stem FOC, excellent customer service again.

What nm do you reckon then - 5?

I fully realise it is a bit of bling, and is probably inferior to a nice alu stem, but I am refurbing the bike, it has new carbon wheels, carbon seatpost, and carbon handlebars, so it seemed the natural thing to add the stem....

As I am fitting the carbon stem to the fork (steerer?) do I still need to use the carbon paste...?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Carbon paste not needed for stem to steerer, also I would use the full torque it states, sounds like you had a defective part as it should take a lot tighter than that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.