Noob Question? Do I NEED a front shock? Boardman Team Q?

ram_145
ram_145 Posts: 41
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
:?:
Noob question if I may please? :oops: I am thinking of replacing the aged and decrepit MTB I was given and am quite taken with the Boardman HT Team R ('Urban') http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/ht_teamr.html with a carbon fork. Primarily as I do around 75% on road mileage and don't really want the weight & maintenance of the front shock.

However... the 25% that I do off road is mostly, bridle-paths, pathways, rougher farm tracks etc where I really appreciate the front shock I have at the moment to absorb some of the rattles and roles. (I'm not quite up to serious trails and jumping down cliffs just yet!!)

Question is: How much would the carbon fork on the "urban" bike really help to absorb these ruts? Or should I really be thinking about upgrading to the "Team" edition bike with the lock-out fork? http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/ht_team.html

I've read the BR review - saying that if you put proper tyres on it will help and dampen....but really wanted some real life example thoughts and opinions. Especially as I'd probably be using hybrid on/off road tyres like the Continental Double Fighter II's I have at the moment (simply as I like em!).

Open to thoughts and opinions...just wanted to hear what you folks thought?

The "expert" at Halfords was pushing me to the shocks, but I am quite tempted to save myself the £250 difference?

Thanks!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I know a couple of people with Urbans and they are fine for relatively gentle off road. I still do a weekly school mountain bike club ride on a 25 year old rigid bike, and I keep up with the kiddies easily. I just use it becuse it's easiest to leave a bike at the school.
    When I'm out to have fun I ride a full suspension.
    You can do pretty much anything, on anything really. It's a personal choice.
    For what you describe it will be fine, but it won't absorb ruts and things, no matter what anyone says. For that you have your body.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Q - Do you need a front shock?
    A - NO

I have 2 of my old MTB's. First is a Dale with a new air fork & the second is a rigid Klein. I can easily out ride a vast number of riders on either bike without any drama or pushing the older bikes.

As per cooldad I too do have a few other more expensive full sus bikes and for real fun or racing I'll quite happily bust them out for a few hours and enjoy the fun.

Sounds like the terrain your riding you would not really benefit having a shock fitted & if you save yourself £250 now and decide at a later date to purchase you can always pick up something later.

I quite happily ride my winter road bike steel with a carbon fork on farm tracks an pathways without any issues at all & yes the carbon fork does make a difference over having a steel one as it dampens the vibrations but bumps etc are all taken with the body.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    ram_145 wrote:
    :?:

The "expert" at Halfords was pushing me to the shocks, but I am quite tempted to save myself the £250 difference?

Thanks!
    they didn't have the comp in store ? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499 gearing and brakes are slightly downgraded, but the forks decent
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • ram_145
    ram_145 Posts: 41
    Thanks for comments folks. Appreciate it!

I'm going to take a longer look at the Comp and see. Whilst most of my mileage in on the road... most of my smiles are off road! - So can see that % going up over time !! :lol:

Cheers!