Speed play zero pedals

Whufcrule
Whufcrule Posts: 131
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi people I'm thinking about getting some Speed play zero pedals as my shimano spd sl seem to be giving me alot off knee pain I can't seem to get them right do the Speed play zero pedals come with cleats??????

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    yes, in fact the pedals are the cleats :lol: how amazing is that.

just edit it to add - for the whole set up to work the metal bit on your shoe has to be parallel to the sole and you get little shims to help with this - but there is a website, it mightbe the speedplay webite, that has a list of compatible shoes and the best shims to use. Oh and dont overtighten the screws!!!
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Whufcrule
    So they def come with cleats yeah don't wanna buy them and then have to buy cleats as well????
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    They don't come with the matching cleat covers ("Coffee Caps") which have to be bought separately, and are absolutely essential not optional. Walk on the cleats for any time at all on a rough surface and you'll trash them. Walk on a soft surface and you'll be picking mud/grass/dog poo or whatever out of the cleat for 10 minutes with a multi-tool before it will work again. I'm a big fan of Speedplays but I've got THAT t-shirt.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    SpeedPlay Zero pedals do come with the pedal, cleat three hole adapter and a set of wedges that allow you to get it all flat. Definitely read the instructions before you install, it's not hard but it is important that you do it right.

Personally although I have been pleasantly surprised by the fine tuning of SpeedPlay I would get a bike fit first as you should be able to tune out knee pain with any pedal type. Speedplays make it easier (especially easier to get the setting right when you change cleats) but they are a costly option.

You will need to get the cleat covers as well though if you want to walk more than 2ft in them.
  • Agree with all of above - I am huge fan of Speedplay Zeros - BUT - I have never had the covers and have never either trashed a set nor clogged them up by walking on them on road or soft verges - certainly ain't cause I'm light on my feet either!
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    well i have the zero's and been using them for about 6 months. they do come with cleats. i had an issue on the first ride as i was told about not ovetightening the screws. i got home after 20 miles with 1 screw left in 1 shoe and the mrs had to help me off the bike. so just make sure you dont undertighten them to :-)
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • iPip
    iPip Posts: 90
    I think the screws come with som pre-applied loctite, but it's worth adding some if not.
    Regards
    Pip

Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Hybrid Comp
    Voodoo Bantu
  • Whufcrule
    These coffee covers u talk about can u ride with them on then or do u only wear them for walking in???? Confused haha
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    They're cafe covers not coffee covers :p as in you put them on when you reach the cafe (you don't cycle in them as the official ones cover the cleat entirely). There is an unofficial version (comes up on eBay US from time to time) which has a hole in the middle so you can wear when pedalling but as someone above posted they can still get packed with mud with those - although if you only ever walk on hard surfaces then they seem a good idea (I nearly bought some but the postage cost put me off).
    Also budget for a grease gun with Speedplay pedals - it only takes a few minutes to regrease them but really does help prolong the bearing life (I didn't bother with my first set and they seized after a year, although are back working after fitting one of the unofficial bearing kits from eBay). I do mine after about every 10 dry rides or 2 wet rides.
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    No they are not "cafe covers" ( and :p to you too). They are called Coffee Shop Caps.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    SpeedPlay are great pedals but you definitely need the rubber covers for walking on anything but clean tarmac or pavement. If you get crud in the mechanism the spring clips won't work properly and you might find that you can't clip in, or worse, out. :shock:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Don't bother with getting a grease gun (unless you've plenty money nad/or just like having more tools around) as a plastic syringe will do fine (I got mine from chemists for about 60p). Pull out the plunger, load it with grease, stick the plunger back in, and squirt grease into the grease ports on the pedals - simple and cheap!
  • Best bike upgrade I've made so far, gone from spd-sl to speedplay zeros and my knees feel much healthier.
    Cube Acid 2011 MTB
    Boardman Road Team....... yes i have had the BB re-greased :-)
  • iPip
    iPip Posts: 90
    Best bike upgrade I've made so far, gone from spd-sl to speedplay zeros and my knees feel much healthier.
    +1 for me too.
    Regards
    Pip

Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Hybrid Comp
    Voodoo Bantu
  • racingcondor
    The post two above reminds me of the other problem with Speedplays. I came from Time which I never greased (and they worked find until the plastic wore down), you do need to be able to grease SpeedPlay pedals and in bad weather you need to do it regularly.

I've been greasing them every two weeks over winter just to be sure (normal grease gun, not the expensive dedicated one). Had a clubmate who didn't and after a couple of weeks of squeeking he had one unscrew itself and come apart while he was riding along...

That said, they're easy to set up, easy to maintain and work well. I'm very happy with them.
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    To the guys who are re-greasing their pedals - what sort of grease are you using?
  • Peddle Up!
    Cubic wrote:
    To the guys who are re-greasing their pedals - what sort of grease are you using?

Ordinary high temperature grease. I think the maintenance thing is overblown by some people. I spin my pedals by hand and if they spin too freely just pump in a dab of grease with a syringe. It takes less than a minute each side, hardly a chore.

Important clarification - NEVER grease your cleats. Dry lube only.
  • Peddle Up! wrote:
    Cubic wrote:

Ordinary high temperature grease. I think the maintenance thing is overblown by some people. I spin my pedals by hand and if they spin too freely just pump in a dab of grease with a syringe. It takes less than a minute each side, hardly a chore.

Important clarification - NEVER grease your cleats. Dry lube only.

+1 to this I use Park polylube cause I have a tube of it lying around but once its done I will try to get marine grease as if its not labelled for a bike its way cheaper. Also I reckon I mist grease mine only every 500+ miles and I've done well over 12k (all weather) miles over four years or so on mine with no issues.
  • racingcondor
    I'm just using the grease that came with my grease gun. I suspect it's not perfect but the main use of it is to keep water off the bearings and flush crud out which it does well. I may regrease them a lot but that's partly because it's a quick, easy job, costs me nothing to add it on to the cleaning regiem when the bike's in the work stand.

+1 on dry lub on the pedals and cleats. I just use GT85 for that.

My greasegun appears to be this -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0035C0F2S/ref=asc_df_B0035C0F2S12269261?smid=A1MVOUW2EB3HKK&tag=hydra0b-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B0035C0F2S&hvpos=1o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=781723625156951963&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=
  • Paulj700
    Paulj700 Posts: 76
    I ordered Speedplay Zeros with my first ever road bike (nearly 1/5th of the cost of the bike) and have praised the day i made that decision.

I have notoriously dodgy knees that used to ache all the time on my old MTB SPD's. After a year and a half of riding on Zeros Ive yet to hear a squeak from my knees. So, imho, if knees are a concern, Speedplay is the way to go.

Yes they do come with cleats, you will also get an array of shims to make sure the contact with the bottom of the shoe is good and some spare screws. Further spare screw sets are available for £3-4.

Paul
  • I bought my Speedplay Zero's from a well known bike fitter and his recommendations were:

* Lube the cleats with dry lube every week or so
    * At every possible opportunity walk with the cafe covers on

He told me the Speedplay rep told him they have the lowest warranty returns via him in the UK. Not sure how true that is but I can tell you if you follow that advice you won't go to far wrong.

I've changed out the spindle for longer ones which was a piece of piss to do.

What I really like about the Zero's is they are a doddle to set up and have the most adjustability compared to other systems.

Re-grease once in a while (I use Exustar) and Bob is you know who.
  • Peddle Up!
    I've just finished dismantling my cleats, cleaning up (some crud had worked its way in) and reassembling with new screws and dry lube. I had a problem getting one of the Coffee Covers on and scratched my head for a while until I realised I'd fitted the cleat UPSIDE DOWN. Idiot! :roll: :roll: :roll: