50km plus route from Merthyr Tydfil

CaerlyrOsprey
CaerlyrOsprey Posts: 49
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi All,

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the correct forum, but...

I am visiting my folks in Merthyr Tydfil this weekend, and I hope to use the time to also practice my climbing.

Would someone be able to suggest a couple of routes out of Merthyr, that are road bike friendly and avoid the Heads of the Valleys road?

My current thought is to head north on the A470 to Brecon, but would like to turn this into a 60 to 75km circular route, rather than just going there and back.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Cheers,

Kev

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    TBH the A470 climb to Brecon is clownshoes. The only thing that makes up for it is the descent. If I were you I'd do the Rhigos and then the Bwlch and head back via Neath. If you wanted to added a third climb you could do Rhigos Rd from Glynneath.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    What Grill said - the other big famous climb around there is the Tumble - you could maybe slip this route in, although it's a bit further from Merthyr than Rhigos and Bwlch.

http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Aberg ... -3886.html

To get to Rhigos you just head for Hirwaun and go south on the Rhigos road - great ascent of Rhigos, followed by nice descent into Treorchy where you just turn right in town to head up the Bwlch climb. Both are very tall (~1000 ft ish) but not desperately steep so are a really nice climb without shredding your legs to bits.

I've not personally done the Tumble but it must be famed for a reason I guess 8-)
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    The A4233 out of Aberdare makes for a nice climb. Should be able to loop that with the Rhigos and Bwlch for a challenging afternoon 8)
  • djm501
    edited March 2013
    Just noticed you're not so far from Pontypridd either. If you want a real leg shredder go to Glyn Taff crematoriun in Ponty and head up a nearby road called Penheol Ely road (aka Ponytpridd golf course road). If you can get up that you can get up anything. I tried it for the first time at the weekend and failed, it's a real killer - 800 ft in about a mile or so, featuring near 1 in 3 slopes towards the top.
  • Grill
    There's also the Maerdy Road climb from Aberdare which is brutal, or take the other way via Penrhys to the easier side of Maerdy.
  • Thanks for the replies.

Looking at google maps, am I right in thinking that I will need to go up the A465 to get to Rhigos?
  • Grill
    Yup, although you can cut down through the lanes for most of it.
  • I don't even like driving on the A465.

Thanks for the advice, think I'll sort of stick to original plan of up A470 to Brecon, then back to Hirwaun, down the Aberdare road to Abercynon, then back up to Merthyr on the old road!

Less climbs, but hopefully should still be a decent test!
  • Grill
    Never had issue with the A465, but it's your call.

What about heading to Black Mountain from Brecon and heading back via Glynneath to do Rhigos?
  • djm501
    Yeah, the A456 has always been fine for me too. Other quieter routes are more lumpy though :-)
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    djm501 wrote:
    Just noticed you're not so far from Pontypridd either. If you want a real leg shredder go to Glyn Taff crematoriun in Ponty and head up a nearby road called Penheol Ely road (aka Ponytpridd golf course road). If you can get up that you can get up anything. I tried it for the first time at the weekend and failed, it's a real killer - 800 ft in about a mile or so, featuring near 1 in 3 slopes towards the top.

That's a nasty one - starts a bit hard, and just gets worse and worse as you go on! Might have to head over that way on the weekend...
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    When I lived in Merthy I used to do your proposed A470 to Brecon then back but turn off half-way and head over to Hirwaun then back across from there to Merthyr route. It's OK, bit boring, the descent into Brecon is nice (I generally turned around at Libanus), climbing back up is either a nice gentle seated climb or a brutal grind if there's a strong head wind.
    It's also a nice route headed to Brecon the same way but come back via Talybont & Ponsticill - the climb after Talybont is hard though.
  • Grill
    That's a good route, but might as well head a bit farther down and hit the Tumble as others have suggested. Great climb.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    I would suggest heading off north from Merthyr past Pontsticill and Talybont reservoirs. From there you are really spoiled for choice in some of the best cycling territory in the UK. Depending how far you want to go you can turn left at Talybont-on-Usk towards Brecon on the B4558 then around to Llangorse and head north on the B4560 towards Talgarth. From Talgarth you have options to go to Hay and over Gospel Pass (highest road in Wales) and drop down the valley into Abergavenny. Alternatively from Talgarth you can go over a long steady climb to Pengenffordd and down into Tretower then back via Crickhowell or Llangynidr over the top of Llangattock or Llangynidr mountains. Other routes include Brecon / Sennybridge / Sarn Helen (Devil's Elbow) / Penderyn and past Llywn-on Reservoir or possibly out over Upper Chapel to Builth Wells. It really is a dream area for cycling.

As Grill says there are some very well known climbs to the south of the A465 but it is quite built up down there. By going north into the Beacons and Black Mountains you have quiet roads and stunning scenery. One thing you will be stuffed with is if you don't like climbing - chances are at some point you will be doing a 1 - 2 mile 10% climb!

If you use Ride With GPS or Map My Ride I'd be happy to draw up some routes and stick some links on here for you.
  • Grill
    I'd go with route 4. Good fun with nice scenery and the Tumble.
  • Hi all,

Thanks for all your advice. I just got back from riding from Merthyr to Libanus and back, along the A470.

The climb each way up to Storey Arms was a killer, I'm glad I didn't try anything harder!

Did not expect the fog either at the top, but, really loved the ride and made a difference from the usual flat rides I normally have in Leicestershire.

Cheers,

Kev
  • Grill
    Glad to hear you had a good ride. Let me know next time you're in the area and I'll come with.