Road Rash

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
Came off (properly) for the first time in 3 or 4 years today. Damp surface with most likely some diesel mixed in (my bridge detour takes me into an industrial area). Most importantly the bike is fine. The left Di2 shifter is a bit scratched but nothing worse. I've road rash and a small hole in my oldest Airjack (probably not worth sending it back for repair) Fortunately my Fugu Gloves and 607 shorts were unscathed.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Glad it went that well! I always see off's that do little or no damage as a bit of a win, they make me a bit more careful next time (not saying it was your fault).
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Nursing a bit myself from Friday's collision with a wayward pedestrian. The trickiest thing is stopping things sticking to it: so far I have discovered that non-adherent dressings are not actually very non-adherent.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    If you can get the dressing which are similar to compeed they're pretty good.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • meanredspider
    pangolin wrote:
    Glad it went that well! I always see off's that do little or no damage as a bit of a win, they make me a bit more careful next time (not saying it was your fault).

It probably was my "fault" (no-one else was involved) mostly for not anticipating how slippery the surface might be. And, you're right, better to learn that lesson in a benign situation.

Bizarrely, given I work for possibly the biggest & most well-known healthcare products company, I'm faced with going to Tesco to buy a dressing of sufficient coverage :oops: :roll: :wink::D
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Ouch, hope it's not too painful. I have a nice big box of dressings on my desk as I'm one of the first aider's. Might struggle if it was rash over a really large area though.

Hose some nice soothing spray on bandage all over it, it'll feel much better.

Do not do this
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Bummer - glad you're basically ok and no bike damage.

Hope the road rash heals up ok!

My last near-off was a back wheel slide while cornering quickly on a busy roundabout. Think there was probably some diesel involved. I was on my fixie, managed to stay on my bike but was all over the shop for a couple of seconds and managed to bang my thigh underneath the top tube! :shock:

Agree that little incidents like this generally make us better, more careful riders.
  • meanredspider
    pangolin wrote:
    Hose some nice soothing spray on bandage all over it, it'll feel much better.

Do not do this

I was thinking "Wow - those spray-on things must have improved a lot. They used to stung like fork!!!" until I spotted (and deciphered) the small print.... :D
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440

Indeed - hydrocolloid dressings ftw as long as you can get one big enough, Boots do some fairly mahoosive ones. Sorted my knee out.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Glad you're ok MRS - that bridge detour is a PITA. As ever, little consideration given to cyclists. I see some people take to the road - I wouldn't recommend that.

-Spider-
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Ouch, hurts like hell doesn't it, hope it heals soon.

You'll be fine once you jump in the shower tonight.

OK, so that's a lie, sorry!
  • bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    Came off a week ago. First time in 3 years, on my way into took a bend too fast and hit a patch of ice or oil. One rib cracked (didn't realise at the time and continued my jounrey into work) and a lovely shiner on my cheek. New helmet required. First day back on the bike today. I tempeted fate by having a discussion with my brother-in-law about his crash the week before and then overhearing some bloke in the pub talking about a massive crash he had a few years ago and thinking how lucky I was.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    prawny wrote:

Indeed - hydrocolloid dressings ftw as long as you can get one big enough, Boots do some fairly mahoosive ones. Sorted my knee out.

+1 these will sort it out in no time
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    Yes - need to check if we still have any of the dressings my son had on his surgery - they were superb. The one on my elbow came off in the night requiring running repairs. Might try a bit of manuka honey on it too - cleaned up his surgical wound in the most fantastic (and, if I'm honest, unbelievable) way.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    One rib cracked (didn't realise at the time and continued my jounrey into work)
    I did 2 with an OTB on my MTB, did the last 6 miles of the group ride by 'short breathing'....surprising how quick you can recover although laughing is a hell on earth! 2 weeks later I was back in the saddle.

Was lucky with my last 2 offs, sheet ice means minimal road rash!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Graeme_S wrote:
    My last near-off was a back wheel slide while cornering quickly on a busy roundabout.
    Had a front wheel slide on the same roundabout this morning! There are lights on the roundabout and traffic had unusually backed up through them, I nipped into the (clear) left hand lane to beat the lights, then was starting to move back towards the right for the lane I needed, so was cornering while shoulder checking. It was drizzling, and the road was damp. My front wheel ran over a new patch of tarmac and slid sideways on the tar that they'd used to seal the edge of the patch.

Luckily the slide had stopped before I managed to instinctively grab my front brake which would probably have dumped me on the floor. I think I've got slightly better at stopping myself from doing this after riding my hybrid with marathon winters on a lot of compacted snow earlier in the year.

How's the road rash today MRS?
  • meanredspider
    Graeme_S wrote:
    How's the road rash today MRS?

Glad you stayed upright, Graeme.

It's fine thanks - tender but not too uncomfortable. I damaged a nerve in a bizarre cricket injury when I were a lad so I have no feeling in the bit of my leg with the most damage :wink: My elbow is sore but I'm on the mend. The other aches (neck, hand etc) are settling down well. My brother came off his bike a couple of weeks ago and is still getting bad swelling in his hip even after an op to remove a clot. I'm counting myself lucky.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Glad you're still ok the morning after MRS. More to the pont I'm glad the bike is ok.
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Glad you're still ok the morning after MRS. More to the pont I'm glad the bike is ok.

Thanks - don't worry: the bike was my first thought too :wink: I was still clipped-in so I formed a human cushion.