brake pad wear

welsh_14
welsh_14 Posts: 259
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Guys,

My old man came back from a ride yesterday complaining that the back brake wasnt working properly. The lever pulled all the way to the bar and only gripped the disc at this point.

On inspection I found that it was worn brake pads, however only one of the 2 pads was worn, there was plenty of life left in one of them but the other was down to the metal. My question is.... Is this normal?! I would have expected wear to be even between the 2 pads.

The brakes are avid elixir R's with the "proper" Avid pads in. going to try and get him some superstar ones to see if they last better!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like a sticky piston.

give them a clean and a lube before pushing them home.

also there is a reach adjuster on the lever.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • welsh_14
    Thanks Nicklouse,

How would you suggest cleaning the pistons and what would you use to lube them? Not something I have had to do before.

Tried the reach adjuster but it made no difference at all.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Just wipe off the crud from the piston and then you could use DOT oil to lube them. Have to be very carefull though in terms of contamination. Also when you're advancing the pistons you will have to be carefull not to extend them so far that they pop out.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Often happens that pads wear unevenly though. I tend to keep the less worn ones as desperation spares.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welsh_14
    Great, thanks for the help guys!

Cooldad thats a good idea, will keep a hold of the good pad as a spare.