Buying online

shaunlee1985
shaunlee1985 Posts: 4
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
I am looking to get a new mountain bike and have £600 to spend.

I had narrowed by search down to two local shops (as I am buying bike through cycle scheme). However I read on this forum about Paul's cycles an online shop which accepts cycle scheme.

The majority of bikes are 2011 or 2012 models with big discounts, and I've read that these would be higher specs than current 2013 models.

From the delivery info it says bikes are assembled with the exception of needing to add pedals and adjust handlebars, I've done this before but on a basic claud butler hybrid. Am I right in thinking that you can't really set up these wrong? In so many words I don't wanna spend £600 on a reasonably decent bike if there is a good chance I can't set it up right. Hope this makes sense.

Has anyone brought from Paul's cycles? Would you recommend them.

Finally any recommendations for a bike priced at £600 I like the look of the Scott aspect 10 (2011) at 499

Cheers

Comments

• I have no problem witrh buying online - although I would probably try to find the bike locally to check out the sizing and feel. A few people on here have used Paul's Cycles, so there is no reason not to trust them (and you can save a lot of money).

As for setting it up - you will be fine. It is all there except for pedals and turning the handlebars around.
    If you have problems, check the Parktools site. And if you are still worried, just take it to your LBS and throw them £25 for a service.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pauls are good, used them - you have to straighten the bars, put the saddle, pedals and wheels on, and probably a bit of tweaking.
    Technically they set the bike up then take it apart again, but will often need a bit of indexing.
    All things that need doing regularly anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    as above, but didn't even need to index the gears.

Bikes are well prepared, boxed well and usually shipped promptly.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500