Jeans for Cyclists

domgears
domgears Posts: 135
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
Hivemind needed,

As most of you are avid cyclists and harking back to the early days of the SCR thread where talk of massive thighs was abundant I seek your advice.

I like designer jeans, however I am based in Singapore, there is a large selection of designer clothing but it is mostly based on the build of locals, so they only import skinny, tapered and drainpipe jeans, no good for me.

The only designer that lists thigh sizes for their jeans is Paul Smith but the "Easy fit" their loosest in my size is only 56.4cm around the thigh.

My thighs are 65cm or 26" in old money.

So, which designer jeans can fit those with "Power Awesome" thighs and developed bums?

Comments

• domgears
    P.S.

I am most definitely not interested in coloured chinos!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    that's me out. Would sir not be interested in an apple green? Or red?
    How could you say no to a pair of these
    I_178357707_01_20130227?wid=288&hei=384
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Not really 'designer' in the Ab Fab sense, but the only jeans that fit my awesome thigh:waist ratio are the Swrve Regular Trim Fit cut.

With any other brand I've tried, a cut that fits on the thighs will have at least 4-6 inches spare in the waist.

I'd love to know where the pro's shop.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Hilfiger.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Anonymous
    I reckon if you tweeted Chris Hoy he'd reply!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    coriordan wrote:
    that's me out. Would sir not be interested in an apple green? Or red?
    How could you say no to a pair of these
    I_178357707_01_20130227?wid=288&hei=384

Paging rick chasey.....
  • domgears
    Thanks Guys,

So far, from my research I have found that G-Star 36" waist have a 61.6cm thigh, maybe snug but getting close.
    The other alternative is to buy 38" waist and tailor them but that seems to defeat the objective.

The only jeans I have found that are generous fitting so far have been Timberlands, I have 3 pairs but not all cuts fit and those that do are still a little loose around the waist.

Coriordan and Rick, you need help!
  • domgears
    Hilfiger.

Do you have a pair? What size waist? Could you measure them across the thigh and let me know the size and model.

In Singapore we have plenty of Tommy stores, I like their stuff and have several of their polo Ts but they only import the skinny fit into Singapore, it is really stupid because there is a very large expat population here and we are very restricted when it comes to clothing, the only option is to order online or buy when abroad, the problem is locals here don't have bums, hips,thighs or calves to speak of, think of Giovani from "Mind your language" and you will get the idea.
  • Anonymous
    Help with what? I have red, dark pink, light pink, apple green, dark green, khaki, navy blue. Pretty much completed the set. Looking into lilac/purple but not sure what I can actually wear with them. (and mustard, obviously)

Jean is the devil's cloth
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Forget designer, surely out in Asia you have easy access to some little guy who would happily whip you up some tailor made jeans designed specifically for you. I had a friend who frequently took his favourite Prada or Gucci or whatever jeans and clothes out to Asia and someone would make him exact copies for a fraction of the cost. I got a lovely tailor made suit in Thailand made in a mix of cashmere and wool fabric, unfortunately a few years after I'd had it made I'd put on weight and I managed to rip it when I knelt down to take a photo at a wedding!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    coriordan wrote:
    The name of the cloth is denim. The cloth originally came from Nimes, the name being a slight bastardisation of "de Nimes". Very popular among the continental aristocracy I believe.
  • Anonymous
    Veronese68 wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    The name of the cloth is denim. The cloth originally came from Nimes, the name being a slight bastardisation of "de Nimes".
    I thought jean, denim and Levis were all different?
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Very popular among the continental aristocracy I believe.
    Good reference.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    coriordan wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Very popular among the continental aristocracy I believe.
    Good reference.
    Would have been much better if it was a few months later, if a touch creepy.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    13 replies on designer jeans for cycling and not one mention of the £150 Rapha cycling jeans?!?!!? :)

The Swrve ones are meant to be better according to this: http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/cycling-jeans-review/

Levis also recently launched a range of 'cycling specific' jeans but I'm not sure how 'designer' you consider them
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Cycling specific blazers/shirts would be nice actually. My Day 01 is my preferred method of transport around town, and its annoying that my usual casual blazers and shirts don't fit properly around the shoulders when I'm riding. I could just get a shorter stem though I guess. Or a proper sit up & beg.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    13 replies on designer jeans for cycling and not one mention of the £150 Rapha cycling jeans?!?!!? :)

The Swrve ones are meant to be better according to this: http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/cycling-jeans-review/

Levis also recently launched a range of 'cycling specific' jeans but I'm not sure how 'designer' you consider them

Skinny jeans? For cyclists?
  • vermin
    notsoblue wrote:

jeggings
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    notsoblue wrote:

admittedly you need to substitute the word 'cyclist' with 'hipster' to get the market they are aiming for
  • domgears

The difference is, the Raphas are cut for comfort while cycling, the problem is whether or not they have sufficient width around the thighs, I dont think they will but I am happy to be proven wrong.

Just to reiterate, I need to find jeans that with a waist of 36" have a thigh circumference of 26".

I wont be wearing them whilst cycling, this is for casual wearing.

If anybody has a pair of Swrve or Raphas do please measure the thighs and advise, thanks.
  • domgears
    vermin wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

jeggings

Sick, just sick!

http://www.dynamicfashionstyles.com/8-w ... shion.html

See near the bottom (no pun intended) of the page :shock:
  • vermin
    domgears wrote:
    If anybody has a pair of Swrve or Raphas do please measure the thighs and advise, thanks.

I have Swrves, but the Regular fit, rather than the skinny someone linked to. Afraid the measurements won't help, as I am considerably less of a man than you. The material is a bit stretchy, even though they aren't supposed to be skinny-fit, which I suppose is why the fit is so good and feels tailored, sort of.
  • domgears
    vermin wrote:
    domgears wrote:

I have Swrves, but the Regular fit, rather than the skinny someone linked to. Afraid the measurements won't help, as I am considerably less of a man than you. The material is a bit stretchy, even though they aren't supposed to be skinny-fit, which I suppose is why the fit is so good and feels tailored, sort of.

So do you also have the mens Jeggings? How do they feel? :wink:
  • cyclingprop
    domgears wrote:
    Hilfiger.

Do you have a pair? What size waist? Could you measure them across the thigh and let me know the size and model.

In Singapore we have plenty of Tommy stores, I like their stuff and have several of their polo Ts but they only import the skinny fit into Singapore, it is really stupid because there is a very large expat population here and we are very restricted when it comes to clothing, the only option is to order online or buy when abroad, the problem is locals here don't have bums, hips,thighs or calves to speak of, think of Giovani from "Mind your language" and you will get the idea.

You did *try* their detailed size guide on their website right? (note: UK Tommy site):

HILFIGER DENIM JEANS
    Label 30 31 32 33 34 36 38
    Waist cm 81 - 84 84 - 86 86 - 89 89 - 91 91 - 95 96 - 101 102 - 104
    Hips cm 102 - 104 104 - 107 107 - 109 112 - 116 117 - 120 121 - 125
    Thigh cm 61 - 62 62 - 63 63 - 65 65 - 66 66 - 67 68 - 71 71 - 72
  • monkeydan
    monkeydan Posts: 95
    Not designer but I have a pair of Muxu jeans which are awesome. I have very large thighs but these fit very nicely. They also have some lycra in them so they're a little bit stretchy. Can't recommend them enough, these are my favourite jeans regardless of whether I'm on the bike or not.

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/muxu-ride-japanese-demin-cycling-jeans-1036.html
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    domgears wrote:

The difference is, the Raphas are cut for comfort while cycling, the problem is whether or not they have sufficient width around the thighs, I dont think they will but I am happy to be proven wrong.

Just to reiterate, I need to find jeans that with a waist of 36" have a thigh circumference of 26".

I wont be wearing them whilst cycling, this is for casual wearing.

I also have fat le... er, awesome thighs.

Carhartt do some decent sized ones. They also do normal ones that come up a bit skinny on me.

The decent sized ones I think were these
    http://www.workingclassheroes.co.uk/218 ... rigid.aspx

The skinnier ones are just their normal fit ones, and I slightly struggle to fit them over my Herculean calves
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • domgears
    domgears wrote:
    Hilfiger.

You did *try* their detailed size guide on their website right? (note: UK Tommy site):

HILFIGER DENIM JEANS
    Label 30 31 32 33 34 36 38
    Waist cm 81 - 84 84 - 86 86 - 89 89 - 91 91 - 95 96 - 101 102 - 104
    Hips cm 102 - 104 104 - 107 107 - 109 112 - 116 117 - 120 121 - 125
    Thigh cm 61 - 62 62 - 63 63 - 65 65 - 66 66 - 67 68 - 71 71 - 72

Thanks CP,

That is exactly what I was looking for, also I finally managed to find a pair in Singapore that actually fit, both thighs and waist at the same time, which in my experience is unheard of.

I got some Ralph Lauren jeans, surprisingly their straight cut 35" waist have a thigh of 66cm, shocking! So I bought them immediately. They also have some slouch fit but not in Singapore, perhaps they are even roomier.

The only other issue is some are low rise, I don't have particularly long legs, combined with the big thighs, straight cut or loose cut in low rise make me look stumpy (not to mention they emphasize the love handles).
  • cyclingprop
    Glad it helped mate.