come pick on the fresher lol

dumdum
dumdum Posts: 7
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
well i couldnt see a mountain bike introduce yourself section, so i figured id join and say hello in here :) not ridden a mountain bike in anger for nearly twenty yrs (except for a midlife crisis 5yrs ago when i spent a load on a spesh pitch pro and rode it twice then sold it :oops: got the gear i got instead of discount still mind, so all is not lost!) i used to ride a diamond back ascent in the early nineties (blue marbled paint job with an elastomer fork, rockshox quadra from memory)

after a good chunk of time off i decided to get my arse into gear and sort my cardio out as im fairly unfit in that department, my core and strength is good due to weight training and brazilian Ju Jitsu (now packed in due to injury :( ) so its just weights and cycling, i also go fishing but that defo doesnt get me very fit lol

im a mechanic for a start..... so i decided to risk a buy from halfords.... after i tightened up a few bolts that werent what my torque wrench called correctly tightened, including but not limited to the crank, front caliper (one bolt was a wee bit loose), and a few other bolts her and there but none essential i was happy to go out and hit the trails on my 18" voodoo hoodoo (based solely on recd from here as a decent first step machine, love it so far!!), i guessed the shock pressure and sinned using the airline initially, that worked well, not, im lucky not to have exploded the fork i reckon lol :oops: smaller air pocket than i thought :lol: started on 45psi as i found out now i got a shock pump (topeak dsg or summat like, it worked a treat and im now at 65psi which gives roughly 20mm of sag in kit)

tyre pressures were set conservatively high to prevent any chance of a pinch puncture (rolled well mind lol), ill work out what my guess for them was when i grab my track pump (again topeak joe blow sport 2 from halfords, which i was gonna pick up in store and pay for until i had an ingenious idea and go tubeless.....) and inner tubes (good offer of discount at hellfrauds.... track pump was 38 quid plus two inner tubes, presta 20" at 7 quid each minus a tenner when ya spend over 50 = a shade over 40 quid for the three, so my inner tubes were a couple of quid :P )

cue a look at ebay and buy some stans no tubes sealant :) tubeless here i come :)

i shall be asking all manner of stupid questions in the future and will no doubt try to make my bike nicer to ride round the red run at sherwood pines for starters, altho i reckon ill be in the lakes, cannock and wales a fair few times soon enough :) based in derbyshire and love a decent downhill run (not too rocky mind, hardtail limited ;) )

really enjoyed the red run at sherwood pines and did it in 2 hrs with my rather unfit mate, reckon sub 1 hr will be my target initially on my 30+lb monster, ride em cowboy :) yeehaaaaaaa!!!

anyone who rides round the pines say hello, im new and up for a rideout wherever i can, especially come summer :)

thanks for read a mad old gits (well 35 anyhoo) effort at an introduction, may the piss taking commence ;)

Comments

• Welcome to he forum!
  • dumdum
    dumdum Posts: 7
    thanks mr monkey :)

i might add that even tho i can have a free 6 week service, i wont be returning to halfords unless i get warranty issues....

the other bit i found on my bike that they didnt set up was my gears were only 24 spd, once id tweaked the rear deraileur a tad i found i could get all 27 lol, i was contemplating a strongly worded letter to halford bike department but figured it wuld probably fall on deaf ears :|
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    35?! You're a youngster!

Welcome to the forum and happy biking :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    dumdum wrote:
    thanks mr monkey :)

i might add that even tho i can have a free 6 week service, i wont be returning to halfords unless i get warranty issues....

the other bit i found on my bike that they didnt set up was my gears were only 24 spd, once id tweaked the rear deraileur a tad i found i could get all 27 lol, i was contemplating a strongly worded letter to halford bike department but figured it wuld probably fall on deaf ears :|

Welcome to the BR forum.

As for Halfords it might not fall on deaf ears, there was young kid on earlier today who had no owners manual from them, called and was sorted straight away. Thing with Halfords is some of the stores are good & some are pretty poor.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.