Motor bike near miss. !

Toe knee
Toe knee Posts: 525
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Was out on my second ride on my new road bike today, just minding my own business riding down a country lane, I then approached a small junction to my left, were to motorcyclists were waiting to turn right, as I neared the junction they sat there, and I thought that's nice, waiting for me to go past, but no, as I came level with them at the junction,first one then the other shot out going straight towards me and turned just before they touched me.
A few f#c# offs aimed in there direction and they sped off up the lane, I just slowed down and shook my head in disbelief, but this incident won't put me off cycling ( which I did last August after a van near miss ) .
I will be back out again in the morning , same loop, getting my miles slowly increased. I must say I'm a lot more confident on the road than I used to be, don't know why but I'm loving it , and two kn#bh€ads certainly won't stop me going out to enjoy my new found love of cycling. Just thought I would tell you all .

Thanks tony.

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    It happens Tony,wether its bikes,cars or lorries.Just try and keep your wits about you and put it down to experience.
    like you and everyone on here,cycling gets under your skin and the good out weighs the bad,so just enjoy .
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I try to shrug off crap like that as it just spoils my ride. Some folks are gits and that's the way it is.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Sounds like you were switched on enough though.

Does happen all the time where people at side roads don't/can't/incapable of judging the speed on an oncoming road user be it a cyclist or a car and just pull out.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Ricey83
    Ricey83 Posts: 103
    People have no patience they'd rather risk a head on collision than wait for few seconds. Don't let it put you off.
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    I nearly got hit by a marauding peloton of club cyclists on Sunday!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Bustacapp wrote:

Ride faster :lol:

Seriously though what happened, did they come past you (from behind) or from the other way?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee Posts: 525
    Thanks for replies everyone. ( no it hasnt put me off whatsoever. :D:lol: )
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Glad it hasn't put you off, there's not much else you could have done in the circumstances.
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    was out on my own 2 weeks ago, traveling along a road for the first time, a lorry came over the hill on a bend on my side of the very narrow road...... shat myself! and road the grass for a few metres to avoid it.
    Last week with 2 others, white van Man comes round the corner on our side of the road, one hand on the steering wheel and the other on his phone

on different roads too.
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    smidsy wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:

Ride faster :lol:

Seriously though what happened, did they come past you (from behind) or from the other way?

The other way. On the wrong side of the road. All over the road actually.

D!ckheads!
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Crap if they did it deliberately, not like we hold motorbikes up. Had a Mitsubishi Evo slow down and drive very close to me the other day on a wide open road with no other traffic around, then rev'd his engine and sped off - I'd probably smile if I saw him in a ditch later...
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Bustacapp wrote:
    The other way. On the wrong side of the road. All over the road actually.

D!ckheads!

Today will go in my diary as a special day....as I agree with you :D

No excuse for that type of riding, large group or not.
    Yellow is the new Black.