Tyre advice please

scottybob
scottybob Posts: 84
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Looking at replacing the maxxis crossmark that are on my bike as they arent upto the conditions I have been riding in!

What are peoples thoughts on these

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/t ... -x-21.html

A bargain price but are there any better than these for up to £40 a pair. I normally ride in muddy/ gravelly bridleways with a little downhill.

Thanks Scott

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Go for folding tyres - lighter and generally better compounds, or you won't find much improvement.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • scottybob
    Really? I thought the only difference was the bead was steel or Kevlar?
    Thanks
  • cooldad
    Kevlar bead tyres are generally (not always) higher up in the range and often (not always) have better, or more variety of compounds.
    Wire beads are generally (not always) the entry level tyres, heavier, and often (not always) hard compounds. Doesn't mean they are bad (I use them on a few bikes) but for more serious riding I like softer compound folding tyres. Maxxis Ignitors for me, but they are close to £40 each RRP. Not that I've ever paid that.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    On One normally have a random selection of Schwalbe on sale (in a million random models and compounds)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • scottybob
    Thanks cooldad
    Just had a look and seen this

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYSCRALFPER ... lding_tyre

What do you reckon to that? I was wanting 2.1 but may go 2.25 but do you reckon I will get much rolling resistance?
  • cooldad
    Yeah I saw those - decent price. I use 2.25 for basic XC but I can feel the difference between 2.1's. Bit heavier, but I prefer them on the gnarlier stuff (which isn't really gnarrly but scary enough for me).
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • scottybob
    choices choices lol