Shifters operation...

Gpfanuk
Gpfanuk Posts: 142
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Silly question time but can anyone tell me how the shifter leavers work on a typical Shimano setup? I only ask as I have boggo Shimano shifters that have the thumb levers. I really like them but realise that they won't be a viable option when I upgrade the bike.
Thanks in advance...
Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
Triban3
Felt AR5
ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016

Comments

• It's the same setup (thumbshifters) up to Sora I think, and then Tiagra upwards it works the same except instead of thumb shifters there is a second lever behind the brake lever which shifts up (smaller ring); the brake lever still shifts down (bigger ring). Di2 is slightly different in that the brake levers themselves dont shift, there are 2 buttons behind it that do shifting and can be configured to go up or down and which side operates which derailleur can also be flipped. If you like the thumb shifters Campagnolo use them quite high up their range so you could consider them when you upgrade.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Are you looking to upgrade the groupset?
    The new Sora is the lowest groupset that does not have the thumb shift. This is 9 speed, so the rest of your groupset will need to be suitable.

As for operation, there are two levers. The brake lever acts as a shifter by pushing in towards the centre of the bike. The other lever sits behind the first and again you push this towards the centre.

Here is a link to the Tiagra tech docs. which work the same as Sora http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 607086.pdf
  • I checked it out and it seems Campy use 'ergoshifters' (i.e. thumbshifters) throughout their range: http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/groupset/catid_1.jsp
    Worth trying Shimano dual controls and possibly Sram DoubleTap before you upgrade though (assuming you haven't already)
  • Gpfanuk
    Gpfanuk Posts: 142
    Thanks for all your replies.
    Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
    ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
    A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
    Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Even the new 2300 (8 speed) replacement doesn't have the thumbshifter.