Cleat positioning

Whufcrule
Whufcrule Posts: 131
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi lads how do I work out where is best to position my cleats I know about the ball off the foot and bring it back a little bit what about the side to side how do I know where is best for me I have a 40 inch waist does that mean they need to be further apart ??? Cheers in advance

Comments

• Put them in about the right spot. Go for a ride. If they feel like they're in the wrong spot (too far forward/back/left/right), slightly tweak the position when you get home. Repeat.

Recently I moved to Look Keo from Look Delta cleats and it's taken about 10 rides and adjustments for me to be happy with their position.
  • Whufcrule
    Sorry to sound stupid but how do I know if its right?? Just lately I had bit off left knee pain at about 40 miles
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Try riding with flats to get an idea of where your feet naturally end up. Then when you move back to cleats you will have a better starting point for position. There is no real right or wrong, if it feels right it probably is!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Whufcrule wrote:
    Sorry to sound stupid but how do I know if its right?? Just lately I had bit off left knee pain at about 40 miles

probably way to much info but your question is answered here...

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... -position/
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360

probably way to much info but your question is answered here...

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... -position/

Gaw'd you were not joking were you. I think my eyes glazed over (or was it my amoebic like brain) switched off by the third paragraph.

Good luck with translating that.

Inadequately yours

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • Simpler but may help with your knee pain -

http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm
  • Whufcrule
    Just a quick update seems to be ten times worse when I stand up to peddal like on the turbo trainer at the moment hurts so much worse when standing up peddaling???
  • farrina
    I would suggest given your comments as to pain that you have an underlying injury and it might be time to desist from riding your bike for a couple of weeks to allow your body to recover.

If you have a turbo trainer when you are recovered you should ( with the aid of a friend) be ideally able to set up your cleats. Would suggest that you do not lock them fully tight to shoe whilst pedalling and they will probably orientate themselves naturally to the correct position. This just leaves you to decide front/back orientation.

If you don't have them already would be a good idea to use cleats that allow for some lateral movement (eg Shimano yellow type)

Good luck

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • Whufcrule
    Yeah Allan I have the yellow shimano spd sl I only been out on my new bike 5 times done 3 sessions off 22 miles and a 45 mile and a 55 mile I think I might off done to much to soon would u say? As my knee hurt on the 45 mile and the 55 mike ride but not the 20s and been playing up ever since really but alot worse when I out off the saddle mate fine when I walking I'm a builder as well fine at work just when I get on the bike in the garage it's fine to start with then can feel it getting worse normally after half hour ish then if I stand up hurts alot more to much to soon u think???
  • farrina
    If you are not used to mileage you may have sore muscles or the likes which is common, but from what you are saying I suspect that it is a combination of probably incorrectly adjusted cleats which have caused some form of inflammation compounded by the fact that you may be trying to much to soon.

In running terms they normally suggest no more than 10% increase week on week. Whilst this may be somewhat over cautious in biking terms (and if you are a youngster you can probably get away with much more) I think you need to go back to first principles and allow time for recovery.

Aspirin might be good for reducing inflammation (usual warning as to doses etc). Also when you start off again and are happy with your cleat positioning don't push big gears but try taking it easy. I don't know how experienced you are but might also be worth rechecking your saddle height and fore/aft adjustment as if this is incorrectly set this can also cause knee problems.

Best wishes

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • Whufcrule
    I'm not very experienced Allan only been on my road bike 5 times haha and all this cleat business is a bit of a nightmare haha I'm hoping I got it all right now just gonna let my knee have a break and when I have start slowly which is prob what I should off done in first place
  • stueyboy
    stueyboy Posts: 108
    I had a bit of knee pain when I started and based on a similar article to already posted (which I obviously can't find again) I moved my cleats as far back as possible and that made my riding much more comfortable. One good bit of advice in the article was to stand normally with normal shoes on and look to see what your feet look like. In my case, my right foot points outwards a bit (due to a back injury a long time ago). I put my bike shoes on with the cleats loose and moved them about until my feet were in the same orientation with the cleats pointing ahead. I then tightened them and went for a ride and it felt much better. They are still in the same position 6 months later and I've had no knee pain since.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    i have standard shimano 520 spd pedals and theres enough float on them set loose to be able to twist your foot a few degrees when out on a ride - you'll soon feel whats best for you.
    I like my toes slightly outwards, cleat back as far as possible and set so my foot can be as wide as possible away from the crank.
    I'd put money on it your knee pain is probably more due to you overdoing it a bit early though; the muscles surrounding the kneecap get stronger to hold the patella in the right position after your muscle tone improves, some knee pain at first is inevitable but it should pass with a few more miles.