Servicing Superstar Nano Copies

Yacoby
Yacoby Posts: 211
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I got mine from Carbon Cycles and I know that they are all from the same place, but as most people know them as Nanos...

I bought these about 14 months ago, and while one is fine the other has some play in the pedal (between the axle and the body). I wondered if these were serviceable or if I should just continue riding it till it dies.(Or if riding it till it dies is a stupid thing to do? I don't want a pedal dieing castastopically)

I have tried taking it apart as much as I can but I can' t see how I can get the axle out.

Comments

• Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    post some pictures as it may help.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    remove axle cover fill with grease re fit. repeat untill grease comes out of the crank end.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yacoby
    nicklouse wrote:
    remove axle cover fill with grease re fit. repeat untill grease comes out of the crank end.
    Awesome. That seems easier than expected. Thanks.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    see as similar pedal in the Tech FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yacoby
    Cheers. All fixed now :D
  • wysiwyg
    wysiwyg Posts: 7,897
    Did you remove both bearing covers?
  • Yacoby
    wysiwyg wrote:
    Did you remove both bearing covers?
    Yeah :)
  • wysiwyg
    wysiwyg Posts: 7,897
    So its end cap, bearing cap, bearing, bearing, bush, seal?
  • Yacoby
    wysiwyg wrote:
    So its end cap, bearing cap, bearing, bearing, bush, seal?
    Oh wait. No. Sorry I misread what you said.

I removed both axle covers and then just continuously packet it full of grease using the inner axle cover. Took about 3 or 4 times and then grease ended up pushing itself past the seals. At that point there was no play anymore.