Hills

13»

Comments

• willow71uk
    willow71uk Posts: 114
    Bustacapp wrote:
    willow71uk wrote:
    Update. Iv'e done quite a few hills lately including Trough of Bowland, Jeffery Hill, Anglezarke and Winter Hill plus numerous local hills and i really don't mind them now and i'm getting better at them. So if like me you hated them just stick at it and it will pay off.

Which one of them was the most painful?

I did Winter Hill for the first time yesterday. Isn't it the same as Anglezark though?

Trough of Bowland had me nearly in tears and vomiting when i reached the top. Which way up Winter Hill did you do? I did Anglezarke then Belmont and then over Winterhill yesterday 3000ft of climbing. Anglezarke was the worst bit it just hits you from nowhere it's like a wall of tarmac.
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    willow71uk wrote:
    Trough of Bowland had me nearly in tears and vomiting when i reached the top. Which way up Winter Hill did you do? I did Anglezarke then Belmont and then over Winterhill yesterday 3000ft of climbing. Anglezarke was the worst bit it just hits you from nowhere it's like a wall of tarmac.

I went from the bottom bit where the road splits the reservoir up to the top. In all about 3500ft of climbing for the day. I don't know the area very well but will probably be up there again some point in the future!
  • sancho_uk
    sancho_uk Posts: 141
    Sounds like we ride around the same area Bustacapp..

I too enjoy seeking out the hills and agree 100% on Shaley brow, it may not be the steepest / longest but for training purposes around here everything else seems easy in comparison.. I dont really have a lot to compare my hill climbing times with so i dont know whether I am quick / slow or average..

Parbold hill is also another good one but seems far far easier than Shaley in my experience.

So far my PB up Shaley brow from bottom to top steep side is 6 mins 27 seconds
    Focus Cayo 2.0 Ultegra 2012
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    Why on earth would you avoid hills, did you not know what goes up must come down, weeeeee
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    The worst thing I find with hills is when you're tackling a hill and are thinking about the next one...once you're actually on it and working hard, its just a question of pacing yourself and working hard. By the time you get to the next hill, its not as bad as you first thought.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Bustacapp
    edited May 2013
    sancho_uk wrote:
    Sounds like we ride around the same area Bustacapp..

I too enjoy seeking out the hills and agree 100% on Shaley brow, it may not be the steepest / longest but for training purposes around here everything else seems easy in comparison.. I dont really have a lot to compare my hill climbing times with so i dont know whether I am quick / slow or average..

Parbold hill is also another good one but seems far far easier than Shaley in my experience.

So far my PB up Shaley brow from bottom to top steep side is 6 mins 27 seconds

I've not found anything that taxes me like Shaley Brow around here. Parbold Hill is a nice climb I find in comparison. Banks Brow is a little bit naughty but a lot shorter than Shaley, 6 mins 27 secs for Shaley is a darn good time!!

My PB for Shaley is 8 minutes and something. I weigh about 17 stone so not too bad for my weight class.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    The worst thing for me is finding out halfway up that you need a different gear when the hill turns a corner and becomes a wall.

Nothing worse than hearing your poor bike trying to change gear up a hill. Worse still is changing in the wrong direction, I do this a lot as I seem to lose all brain function when I am coughing my lungs out in a bid to keep my legs turning.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • sancho_uk
    sancho_uk Posts: 141
    Ah, its good to know my hill training is paying off then :)

I dont quite have to carry a 17 stone frame up.. Not weighed myself for a long time but i think im around the 13 stone mark and 6ft 4 so pretty skinny really :oops:

Got the Tour of the Peaks in 2 weeks so i will be heading up Shaley brow as much as possible in the build up :D
    Focus Cayo 2.0 Ultegra 2012
  • Bustacapp
    sancho_uk wrote:
    Got the Tour of the Peaks in 2 weeks so i will be heading up Shaley brow as much as possible in the build up :D

The Peak District looks like it's got some proper hills! :D

I was up Shaley twice this weekend and it never gets any easier for me!!
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Count yourself lucky that you have hills. I can do a 150Km ride and my elev gain on Strava shows 28 metres :oops:
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    ademort wrote:
    Count yourself lucky that you have hills. I can do a 150Km ride and my elev gain on Strava shows 28 metres :oops:
    Ademort

But 145km of the 150km is off road over nice, level, well maintained traffic free cycle paths - yes, I'm so lucky :(
  • mabbo
    mabbo Posts: 117
    It's the same old story really. Personally, I am not that quick on the sprints, but am fine grinding it out uphill My regular commute includes hills, over the winter, heavy old hack, same hills, means now I am back on the summer bike I'm better than last year.

It really is just practice.

Just keep at it................and don't think about them.
  • socistep
    socistep Posts: 88
    I'm relatively new to cycling, started last summer in Leeds with 60 commuting miles and the odd longer ride/sportive at weekend as have a young family and hard to fit in, I'm averaging about 125miles a week this year.

Probably my best part is hills, I guess because I'm small and light and decent leg strength from years of playing football, when I check strava sections locally I seem to do well on the hills and have a couple of KOMs around there - having said that the burn kills at time and I wouldn't say I massively look forward to them! I've noticed this on sportives also, did one recently in the Yorkshire Wolds, I got passed by a group on the flat but went past them all on the next uphill.

One plus for me in this is that there is no escaping hills in Leeds, both the daily commutes and then riding out longer, this has definately improved things as every day pretty much there is some climbing involved.