Panniers for a road bike?

CyclingObsession
CyclingObsession Posts: 314
edited March 2013 in Commuting general
I commute 40km return trip to work 5 days a week sometimes 7, I use my carbon road bike so I can get in and home faster, however I use a backpack but I am sick of it weighing me down and it cant be good for my back long term, I usually have my about 5kg of weight in the bag, is it possible to put Panniers on a road bike and if so what do I need?

Comments

• cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    you can put panniers on a road bike - you'll need to check whether you have the fittings for a rack. If not you can still do it though you'll need to buy an adapter I think - someone else will be able to fill you in

I went down the Carradice saddlebag option (the 11 litre one) with the quick release adapter. Basically a big saddlebag (come in sizes from quite small to very big (20 litre+)) and that might be a good option for you? I prefer this system to the pannier and rack i had on my hybrid, but you might be different. Worth considering though
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    I got a Halfords pannier on my Spec Secteur with an Avennir pannier bag. About 7kg in it in the mornings, less on the way home as lunch is eaten! Bike has the eyelet things to screw in the rack. No problems so far with the wheels and that's over some really s*** bits of council estate roads.
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    I've got a Carradice saddle bag on my carbon bike which I use for commuting :)
  • Great stuff glad it can be done, what bags would recommend for carrying trainers swim gear lunch box huddie. in the back pack I have now it only barely fits in and sometimes ~I have to do without some things.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Great stuff glad it can be done, what bags would recommend for carrying trainers swim gear lunch box huddie. in the back pack I have now it only barely fits in and sometimes ~I have to do without some things.

Do you know the size in litres of your pack?
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    My nephew and I both run Tortec Velocity racks, not dear and almost the lightest on the market. As for panniers you can't beat Edinburgh Bicycle's 20 quid own brand. My set are over ten years old and still great.

On my Cannondale I use the rear mudguard fitting to double up as the bottom pannier mount. On the seat stays I fitted P-clips. If you don't have a bottom mount you can get adaptors that fit them to the axle skewer.

If it's only a 5kg load you might look at a large bar bag. Trouble is a lot of them rule out fitting lights up there.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If you are packing light get either an Ortlieb large saddle bag or carradice. If you want to stay fast an efficient panniers can be a real drag on a long windy week.