9 speed cassette too wide for 9 speed hub

jamestinker
jamestinker Posts: 12
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got an 11-32t SRAM PG 990 9 speed cassette which I used happily for many years on some Mavic Crossland wheels.

I just obtained some wheels with Cannondale Wind hubs, and Mavic 819 rims. An 8 speed fits on the freehub body fine, but when I try to put my PG 990 on there, it's just a fraction too long to fit the lockring.

There is no spacer at the back.

Presumably if it fits an 8 speed, it should fit a 9. Plus the guy who sold it to me told me it was a 9 speed.

Anyway, it is what it is. How can I resolve this problem?

If the lockring were a fraction deeper, it would catch the threads. Can I get a deeper lockring?

Or I need to change the freehub body. What should I go for?

Many thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well 8 and 9 speed cassettes are the same width.

does the 9spd cassette have the correct spacer or has it got an 8 speed spacer in it?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • You mean built into the cassette? There certainly isn't one on either freehub
  • nicklouse
    yes as it is built up of bits.

Sram-PG-990-11-32T-Cassette-02.jpg?t=1272295029
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • I'm not sure. Will check tomorrow. Do you know what the widths should be for a 9 speed vs 8 speed spacer? Gear 7 seems to use the spacer on my SRAM cassette. However, I bought brand new, so you would hope it would have been supplied with the correct one.
  • nicklouse
    nope but it should be the same colour.

but it should fit. with no issues.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Check you have the smaller gears the right way round, on one of my SRAM's it's possible to fit one the wrong way round but the lockring wouldn't go on - don't remember the specifics of it from 2 years ago though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Finally got it on. Thanks for the tip from The Beginner. I doubled checked it was all lining up, and this time it worked. Also gave it a bit of a clean, so I'm sure all the gunk wasn't helping. thanks guys!