I have no words....

magibob
magibob Posts: 203
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
At least none that I would use on a public forum.

http://seattlebikeblog.com/2013/03/02/s ... -be-taxed/

Andy

Comments

• What a buffoon....
  • Lassic
    Lassic Posts: 32
    By his (highly dilluded) logic, there may as well be a breathing tax!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Oh, wow. Just. Wow.

Do you think he has slip on shoes 'cos he can't tie his own laces?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Wandering the wubble-u wubble-u wubble-u

http://now.msn.com/ed-orcutt-seattle-re ... nvironment
    A Seattle lawmaker is defending his proposed bike tax by saying that bikes are a) unhealthy; and b) bad for the environment. Demonstrating a lack of understanding of bicycles that suggests he may not actually know what they are, Republican Rep. Ed Orcutt says bikes are bad for the environment because they cause cyclists to have "an increased heart rate and respiration." "You would be giving off more carbon dioxide if you are riding a bike than driving in a car," he said, before admitting that he had not "done any analysis" of the difference between carbon dioxide emissions of bikes and cars. Of course not. [Source]
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    :D Maybe velcro shoes. I understand they are the new slip on for lazy people
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    sarcasm, surely
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    American, probably doesn't understand sarcasm.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    American, probably doesn't understand sarcasm.
    ^^This

Or Science.
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • mrbobuk
    mrbobuk Posts: 20
    He's got the haircut of a c*nt. That is enough in my book. Sh*t haircuts do the world no good at all.
    "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades" - Merckx
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    He's now playing the "I didn't express myself very clearly; I don't really think that" card. No indeed he did not.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    rjsterry wrote:
    He's now playing the "I didn't express myself very clearly; I don't really think that" card. No indeed he did not.

So it wasn't sarcasm then. Ah.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Wandering the dub-yah dub-yah dub-yah
    FTFY!
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    mrbobuk wrote:
    He's got the haircut of a c*nt. That is enough in my book. Sh*t haircuts do the world no good at all.

Coffee all over my screen. :D

Andy
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To be slightly balanced (oops, bad idea), in the 1990's the Uk gov't did some research, they did find the a person on a 50cc Scoooter emitted less CO2 than a cyclist as the scooter engine was more effiicient than a human body but it was 'only just' - it also of course depends how hard you pedal, BUT at circa 120-150mpg for a scooter that's a lot less CO2 than a 25-35mpg car!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    To be slightly balanced (oops, bad idea), in the 1990's the Uk gov't did some research, they did find the a person on a 50cc Scoooter emitted less CO2 than a cyclist as the scooter engine was more effiicient than a human body but it was 'only just' - it also of course depends how hard you pedal, BUT at circa 120-150mpg for a scooter that's a lot less CO2 than a 25-35mpg car!
    From a similar thread...

Pross wrote:
    Humans produce on average 900g of CO2 a day through normal breathing so about 40g per hour. Let's say we cycle for 2 hours a day and that in doing our CO2 output increases fivefold. Therefore over a 2 hour ride we are putting out an extra 320g of CO2. In that time we will probably travel say 50km leaving us with a CO2 output of 6.4g/km (over and above what we would be doing sat on a sofa). That green car of choice for celebrities and politicians, the Prius produces around 90g/km. A Nissan Leaf has no tailpipe emissions but still produces around 80g/km in the electricity generation required to charge it. The average CO2 emissions from a light vehicle in the US in 2010 was nearly 250g/km. Maybe this idiot needs to take on the car lobby instead but then again he's a politician so he isn't going to take on something that will cost votes!

We need sources.
    I say the bicycle is the most efficient and give you sources - http://www.copenhagenize.com/2009/01/mo ... ented.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_performance

Edit:- "Having said all that, there’s nothing greener than getting on your bicycle" from here - http://www.beagleybrown.com/planes-trai ... transport/
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.