following the 2013 tour de France

mikey2341
mikey2341 Posts: 170
edited March 2013 in Pro race
So I'm using my holiday this year to follow as much of the tour as possible starting in Nice and hopefully all the way to Paris (not sure if we'll skip stages around Saint-Melo with the long drive up there). Got a campervan sorted and it's all systems go. I'm trying to plan a route for us to follow, but struggling with which roads the actual race will use. The Stage start and finishes are well published, but I can't find much on the actual route of each stage, does anyone have any suggestions? I fancy having a crack at riding some of the climbs whilst we are there, so ideally would like to plan the logistics of it as well as possible.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I might find the stage routes? Anyone else heading out to watch much of it?

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    I'm there from the stage into St Malo, through to the Champs
  • Exact stage details won't be out until around June. You can get a roadbook/guide with all the details you'll need then. Mountain stages are pretty easy to work out though, there aren't as many roads! :D

I'm going to be following the race from Ventoux to Paris, think Ventoux and Alpe d'Huez will be epic (from a spectator point of view). Quite curious about the Paris evening stage as well.
  • RowanM
    RowanM Posts: 20
    I've followed it by bicycle a couple of times (you can read about it at http://www.tourletour.com). Every year a month or so before the start the same magazine is put out by different publishers in every country showing the exact roads used, as well as the times they will get there, with a fast, medium and slow version.

As Greasedscotsman says, the mountian stages are easy to figure out because there aren't many roads, not many carparks either though! If you want a good parking spot on a mountain I recommend getting there the day before. Early, on the day before. The good news though is that you don't need a parking spot if you just ride up there instead, but remember it is a lot colder at the top of a mountain than at the bottom, and take warm clothes.

I'm riding the Giro this year for charity, let me know if you decide to check that out as well! :D
    I'm riding the Giro d'Italia for charity in 2013. Check it out at www.tourletour.com!
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Excellent....it's my 40th in May and I only realised last night that our summer holiday Mrs C has planned has been done specifically so that we'll be near to Tours when it starts/finishes there. Too far to drive to the alps with kids :( but I'm happy enough. I'll keep an eye out nearer the time.

See if I can take my bike now.... :D as the area is bare of Strava segments! KOM for a day!!

Cheers

Richie
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    I'm doing Lyon/Ventoux weekend, then flying back out Tues eve for the TT, Alpex2 and follow it to Paris. Early Eurostar on Monday am to reduce holiday used.

For Giro, I'm going to stages 8&9, 14&15 and 18-21, weekend away frenzy!
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    I shall be doing Paris for the first time this year. I love seing the mountain stages, but can't get there this year, so Paris will have to do. :D