Beer Goggles Myth

RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited March 2013 in The bottom bracket
According to Metro ‘Beer goggles’ are a myth because we see each other no differently regardless of how much alcohol we have had. The part of the brain controlling our urges keeps going no matter how much we have drunk. It means our ability to assess someone’s attractiveness stays the same apparently. ‘We still see others basically as they are,’ said Dr Amanda Ellison, who conducted the study. Its just that alcohol switches off the rational and decision-making areas of the brain while leaving the areas to do with sexual desire intact. :roll:

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I expect Dr Amanda Ellison is a 10 pinter.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Well, from my extensive research, alcohol definitely affects my eyesight.

Maybe my research was flawed. Must start again. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    No we know who locked the ugly thread :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    In my younger days when I first entered a pub I'd make a point of looking at the ugliest bird in there so I knew the moment I started to see her as anything other than ugly I'd "had enough".

These days of course I'm older and wiser and such techniques don't have to be applied.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    I always found going without for a period, is far more likely to make you see people in a more attractive light than beer.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • RideOnTime
    In my younger days when I first entered a pub I'd make a point of looking at the ugliest bird in there so I knew the moment I started to see her as anything other than ugly I'd "had enough".

These days of course I'm older and wiser and such techniques don't have to be applied.

You went into the pub and checked who was the least attractive woman!!!!
    So you could take this as a measure of your Pernod consumption.
    This is so un-PC. I hope this was in the 70's.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508

These days of course I'm older and wiser and such techniques don't have to be applied.....as I married her

fixed that for you young frank :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Frank the tank

These days of course I'm older and wiser and such techniques don't have to be applied.....as I married her

fixed that for you young frank :lol:
    Cheeky bleedah!
    Tail end Charlie

• Frank the tank
    RideOnTime wrote:

You went into the pub and checked who was the least attractive woman!!!!
    So you could take this as a measure of your Pernod consumption.
    This is so un-PC. I hope this was in the 70's.
    Late 70's early 80's

Have to agree not PC (Pernod Consumption) But BC (Beer Consumption) :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

• solosuperia
    solosuperia Posts: 333
    Not that it ever happened to me......

But a mate was tempted to gnaw his own arm off rather than wake the lovely creature he had chatted up the night before(She was laying on it).

Somehow she had metamorphosised overnight into a double bagger!
  • Frank the tank

But a mate was tempted to gnaw his own arm off rather than wake the lovely creature he had chatted up the night before(She was laying on it).

Hence the old joke, I've NEVER took an ugly bird to bed, but, I've WOKEN UP with some. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

• daviesee

Hence the old joke, I've NEVER took an ugly bird to bed, but, I've WOKEN UP with some. :lol:
    And the phrase coyote ugly. :lol:
  • jezzasnr
    jezzasnr Posts: 225
    go ugly, early
    ....like it's golden
  • daviesee
    I had a few last night purely in the name of science of course. :wink:
    A few reds with a steak washed down by a few malts.
    After which I decided - If the results go right, Scotland can win the 6 Nations.
    On the back of that, the football team can qualify for Brazil.
    Turning to cycling, LA was only trying to level the field and is a nice guy after all.

Conclusion - Alcohol definitely alters your perception of reality. :lol:
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    who can pull the ugliest bird competition. They were the days! Sad thing is most times i still couldnt pull lol
  • When I was younger I had a theory about plain ladies (being kind ) & it was that they would welcome a little attention, sometimes did / didn't work. Now much older plus plainer than plain it is I who would welcome a little attention. It's funny how the great wheel of life turns (pun intended) & they were delivered last week.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pull a pig, win a quid?
  • RideOnTime
    coriordan wrote:
    Pull a pig, win a quid?

I've not heard this before. Pull a pig, win a quid. How does this work? Who will provide this English pound? Would pull a hound win a pound apply? Have I mishandled the stick?