How much for a lower leg service?

mtb_newbie
mtb_newbie Posts: 2
edited March 2013 in MTB general
Hi, I have a reba SL which is due a lower leg service, I bought it second hand and the previous owner says it is due a service.

How much would an average LBS charge me for this as I dont want to be ripped off.

Cheers

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    You will be ripped off. Do it yourself.

Shops will charge around £75.
  • Macster1
    Macster1 Posts: 122
    My LBS charged £120:00, £15:00 of that was to remove/refit the forks, £20: return shipping and the rest was TFTuned, who did a full strip-down and service, and gave a full report and settings advice, [based on my weight]. My forks are RockShox Reba SL 80mm

They recommend a service every year, but that was the first time in over 3 years of owning the bike that I had them serviced, and that was only because the lockout broke.

If you don't have the tools/inclination, I would say it was money well spent :D
    Rockhopper Pro Disc 2009 :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you can undo a bolt, wipe your bum, and pour a shot of whisky you can do a Rockshox lowers service. Full service is a bit more involved.

The only caveat to that, is that a pro might notice a defect which you might miss, which could mean trouble further down the line.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Iirc, there is a guide on here for doing it. I bought everything I needed for less than half the price of getting someone else to do it and it was easy to do. If I can do it, considering I'm a cackhanded bufoon, you should be alright doing it yourself.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's a 30 minute DIY job. Just order a set of 32mm seals from TF Tuned and some of their lower lube mix. The Rockshox service manuals give step by step instructions with photo's.
    Make sure you have some latex gloves, lint free cloth and a clean work area.
    Worth learning to do yourself. I do mine every couple months to keep them running nicely.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Have a look at www.pedal-worx.co.uk also, new company doing these tyrpe services nice and cheap
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • rockmonkeysc
    Looks like it's in someone's garden shed! How can he do a service for less than the cost of a set of seals?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looks like it's in someone's garden shed! How can he do a service for less than the cost of a set of seals?
    Because he' not replacing the seals and wipers.
    "This service include cleaning of the wipers & seals,
    and re-lubricating the wiper with genuine FOX FLOAT Fluid."
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Or in other words, "this service is completely pointless, you may as well not bother".

I can perhaps see why you'd do this as a DIY job, but paying someone else to not change them?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Thats a five minute job. Why go to the expense of sending them to someone else for such a quick easy job?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I did my first lower leg service last night. There are videos on YouTube made by SRAM and you can download a manual from SRAM website. I also bought a service kit from TF Tuned which contained new set of seals and enough oil for a couple services.

The job took me about an hour to do. Did everything slowly and watched the video many times before starting the next step.

It was all quite simple to do nothing complicated. I think if I did it again I'd do it much quicker.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have got it down to 20 minutes max including removing the forks. It's still worth getting an annual full service from a pro like TF Tuned to get the dampers properly checked and serviced.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Send them to me and I'll service the lowers and fit new dust seals for £50.
  • ^^ be warned he also then sells your old seals on classifieds..
    :lol:

I did a lower leg service a while ago on my old mtb forks, the difference was very noticeable and given how easy it is to do its well worth doing yourself.

One thing i would say is get some iisopropyl alcohol, its brilliant stuff for cleaning out the legs and it doesnt leave any residue behind
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • rockmonkeysc
    I use Muc Off disc brake cleaner which also completely evaporates very fast and won't rot seals.
  • Do it yourself, it really is easy but remember if you have open bath to have the bike upside down when removing the lower lega, otherwise you will dump all of the oil.

Check out this video http://www.mojo.co.uk/dustwiper.html