Advice please

charlieguitar
charlieguitar Posts: 3
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi everyone - this is my first post on the forum.

Been riding fairly regularly over the past couple of years, usually doing 30 to 50 mile trips on a Carerra hybrid.

Anyway...yesterday took the plunge and purchased a brand new Giant Defy 2 road bike. Took it out for a brief 10 mile spin after getting it home and all seemed well... a lovely smooth ride and very happy.

However, went to take it out this morning and within seconds of leaving my house the tyre blew :( . On closer investigation I noticed that there is actually a small hole in the side of the tyre. I repaired the puncture and although the hole in the tyre is small, I can see the inertube trying to push its way out.

Would it be unreasonable for me to demand a replacement tyre? Or is it just "an act of God" and tough luck?

Sorry if this is a silly question :oops:
Cheers
Charlie

Comments

• You should be able to expect a great deal more from a tyre, so I see no wrong in asking for one...
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    You should be able to expect a great deal more from a tyre, so I see no wrong in asking for one...

^-^ Agree with Simon on this.

As brand new bike you would expect it to be in good working order. I see nothing wrong in asking for a replacement & to be fair your local bike shop would probably not have the issue either and only after having your weight on the bike did the inner bulge through and go bang.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    You could ride 10 metres down the road and open your tyre wall on a stone, it's hardly anybody's fault, I'd expect your LBS to give you a "is this bloke for real look". But if you don't ask you don't get.
  • Thanks for your replies

I probably seem like a bit of a tight wallet, guess I'm just a bit frustrated at the thought of having to buy new tyres
    for a bike that cost me the best part of £800 less than 24 hours earlier.

I'll phone the shop tomorrow and let you know the outcome.

Cheers
    Charie