Buying a first road bike.

Peter91
Peter91 Posts: 16
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
I'm buying my first road bike in the next month or so; from what I've seen the best value bike appears to be the Triban 3. I know that 300 pounds isn't much for a road bike, however I'm a student and pretty tight on cash: I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for a better bike at a not too dissimilar price point? The Triban doesn't seem to be too bad.
Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    If you do a search in the forums you will see that lots of people rate this bike & gets a lot of support for a bike at this price point.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    There probably isnt a better buy at this price for new.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • For a significantly better bike, you should expect to pay significantly more. A bike is a composite: a good one has a good frame, good wheels and good components. The only way to avoid compomising on any of these is to pay for them; if you aren't paying you almost certainly aren't getting. There really is only one "entry level" road bike if you're buying new: It has a cheap aluminium frame and [with few exceptions] carbon fork, cheap factory wheels and basic componentry. Anything you get will be a variation on that theme.

It has to be said that there is every chance that you could find something a bit better (eg. Specialized/Giant/etc) for a little more than the price of a new Triban second hand, and for more still significantly better, but I cannot with good conscience recommend that you buy a new road bike without trying it out first. A worthwhile upgrade to a Triban will be better than the slightly more expensive alternative, and priced accordingly. More pressingly, there is a fair bit of paraphernalia that you will need; budget accordingly.

Therefore, I can only recommend that you buy a new Triban from a shop, and use any money you have left over to buy yourself some basic cyclewear, tools, lights, etc. You aren't buying a bike to grow old with.
  • PiersHS
    PiersHS Posts: 109
    For my first bike I went second hand, and would recommend doing the same as you get alot more bike for your money, and stops the itch of watching to upgrade for a few years aha! Just make sure you give it a very thorough inspection before you buy.

I also happen to be selling my 2nd road bike, which is a great Handbuilt alu/carbon frame from FORT Bicycles (Big in the states, big cyclo-x brand too). If your budget will stretch to £400 that is the asking :). Just PM for some pics and spec etc.. it is a stunner. 58cm.

Cheers
    PHS

BTW this isn't just a plug for my bike, whichever bike you buy, mine or someone else's or a new one- I would go 2nd hand for value for money...
    Forza Zappi's CC
  • Peter91 wrote:
    I'm buying my first road bike in the next month or so; from what I've seen the best value bike appears to be the Triban 3. I know that 300 pounds isn't much for a road bike, however I'm a student and pretty tight on cash: I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for a better bike at a not too dissimilar price point? The Triban doesn't seem to be too bad.
    Thanks for any help :)

Don't stretch your budget at all. Buy what you can afford, remembering you'll have to spend a lot more on all sorts of other gear.

Ignore the advice to buy second hand. If you buy new and it collapses after 5 minutes, you've got some comeback. Buy second hand and you're vulnerable, particularly if you're short of cash.
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    Why not buy a Carrera from Halfords?

Honestly they are solid as f@ck. Better looking that the Triban 3 by miles too.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Why not buy a Carrera from Halfords?

Honestly they are solid as f@ck. Better looking that the Triban 3 by miles too.

+ 1

was my choice also
  • englander
    englander Posts: 232
    I've just gone through exactly the same thing with exactly the same budget. I was ready to walk into Decathlon to get a Triban before I caught a 2nd hand Spec Allez on ebay which I went for instead. I'm pretty delighted with my purchase but it's needed a lot more care and attention than a brand new bike, of course. I can't stand the Carrera road bike, it's such a horrible colour scheme! Also red bikes (Triban 3) go faster (but not as fast as my stealth silver Allez).

Summary: buying new I don't think you can do much better than a Triban 3. If you don't mind 2nd hand, look for some good offerings on ebay.
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    Englander wrote:
    I can't stand the Carrera road bike, it's such a horrible colour scheme!

Any particular colour scheme or even any particular model of Carerra Road Bike you're referring to?
  • KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 186
    The price of Carrera bikes at Halfords vary drastically throughout the year.

They want £499.99 for the Carrera Tdf at the moment and although it is an excellent bike when reduced to £300 it is not worth the current price and is way outwith the ops budget.
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Peter91
    Cheers for all the advice everyone. I was considering buying second hand but, as someone said, I'm a little nervous about getting something that isn't all it appears. As a total novice (all my knowledge gained from internet research) I'm not sure enough to buy second hand...
    Also less problems with the bike would be good in the first year. The Carrera bikes seem to be rather expensive at the moment? If it were 300-350 I'd consider it, but they're all priced at 500. At the moment I think I'm going to get the Triban, see if I love cycling, then save up, buy a more expensive bike, sell on the Triban or keep it as a trainer. I did see a Raleigh airlite 100 2012 for 370 pounds though.

Also I'm worried about going too much over budget as there's a bunch of other stuff I need to buy. I have a fair bit of lycra, but would need some padded shorts and various other things, also I'd like to get some spd pedals/shoes.

To the fellow with the second hand bike; I can't seem to PM you (too new a member perhaps, or maybe just blind?), but if you PM spec, condition, pics etc. maybe I'd change my mind. :P
  • zx6man
    KonkyWonky wrote:
    The price of Carrera bikes at Halfords vary drastically throughout the year.

They want £499.99 for the Carrera Tdf at the moment and although it is an excellent bike when reduced to £300 it is not worth the current price and is way outwith the ops budget.

yup paid 265 for my tdf on a bank holiday special.
  • robertsims
    robertsims Posts: 141
    Love my Triban 3 but each to their own. Go to shop, have a ride and see what you think. Also customer service (in my experience) is superb at Decathalon
    Triban 3
  • zx6man
    I did buy my tdf before knowing about decathlon to be honest but most halfords are local and the price was right.
  • Gpfanuk
    Gpfanuk Posts: 142
    I bought a Triban at the start of January this year and don't regret it all, it's a great introduction to road cycling. Do bear in mind that you will spend almost the same again on bits and pieces, some essential, some not so.
    I have spent another £280 ish (mostly from Wiggle) so far and the list is as follows:

Ortlieb Micro Saddle Bag (Signal Red/Orange 0.6 litres)
    Genuine innovations Fat 20 Threaded CO2 Cartridges - 2 x 20g (2 x 20g)
    Park Tools Puncture Repair Kit Super Patch
    Genuine innovations Microflate Nano Tyre Inflator
    Shimano R087 Road Cycling Shoes
    Shimano PD-R540 SPD SL Sport Pedals
    Elite Custom Race Bottle Cage - 2013 (Black/White/Red)
    Elite Hygene Corsa Water Bottle (Clear 550ml)
    Elite Hygene Corsa Water Bottle (Red 550ml)
    Finish Line Dry Teflon Lubricant 120ml Bottle
    dhb Pro Triple Lens Sunglasses
    dhb Seamless Arm Warmers
    BBB BTL-18L Tools and Tube Storage Bottle (Large) (Black)

So as you can see the spending has only just started once you have the bike! :roll:

Wiggle Kilo-To-Go Short Sleeve Cycling Jersey
    Cateye Velo Wireless Cycling Computer (Silver)
    Schwalbe Road Inner Tube (Presta 40mm 700 x 18/28)
    Lezyne Rap 13 Multi Tool
    Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
    ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
    A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
    Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016
  • Peter91
    Gpfanuk wrote:
    I bought a Triban at the start of January this year and don't regret it all, it's a great introduction to road cycling. Do bear in mind that you will spend almost the same again on bits and pieces, some essential, some not so.
    I have spent another £280 ish (mostly from Wiggle) so far and the list is as follows:

Ortlieb Micro Saddle Bag (Signal Red/Orange 0.6 litres)
    Genuine innovations Fat 20 Threaded CO2 Cartridges - 2 x 20g (2 x 20g)
    Park Tools Puncture Repair Kit Super Patch
    Genuine innovations Microflate Nano Tyre Inflator
    Shimano R087 Road Cycling Shoes
    Shimano PD-R540 SPD SL Sport Pedals
    Elite Custom Race Bottle Cage - 2013 (Black/White/Red)
    Elite Hygene Corsa Water Bottle (Clear 550ml)
    Elite Hygene Corsa Water Bottle (Red 550ml)
    Finish Line Dry Teflon Lubricant 120ml Bottle
    dhb Pro Triple Lens Sunglasses
    dhb Seamless Arm Warmers
    BBB BTL-18L Tools and Tube Storage Bottle (Large) (Black)

So as you can see the spending has only just started once you have the bike! :roll:

Wiggle Kilo-To-Go Short Sleeve Cycling Jersey
    Cateye Velo Wireless Cycling Computer (Silver)
    Schwalbe Road Inner Tube (Presta 40mm 700 x 18/28)
    Lezyne Rap 13 Multi Tool

That list is depressingly long and depressingly expensive. Thank you so much for it however; it looks to be really useful, and all the stuff on it seems to be good value. You've saved me a lot of time and research!! :)
  • zx6man
    I agree, spent twice as much on "important" bits as I did on the bike. You have been warned :-)
  • englander
    englander Posts: 232
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Englander wrote:
    I can't stand the Carrera road bike, it's such a horrible colour scheme!

Any particular colour scheme or even any particular model of Carerra Road Bike you're referring to?

I was just referring to the yellow TDF. It was kind of in my budget a while ago when it was £300
    Peter91 wrote:
    To the fellow with the second hand bike; I can't seem to PM you (too new a member perhaps, or maybe just blind?), but if you PM spec, condition, pics etc. maybe I'd change my mind. :P

It's a 2010 Spec Allez. Here's the ebay (£30 refund for broken front gear cable which only cost a tenner to fix) and here's some specs. You can tell it has been well used but it's all mechanically sound and with a bit of competency (I flatter myself) I've got it running very nicely now. Having tinkered with all the brakes/gears a fair bit now I'd say that owning a 2nd hand bike has improved my maintenance skills a lot more than if I'd simply bought new. Given the option, I'd buy second hand again because I feel you can get a better specced bike for the same price and I don't feel quite so precious about getting dirt on it because it already came with dirt on it!
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • zx6man
    I paid the same for a new tdf , spec wise not much in it really, so went new. Not sure why you think the 2nd hand allez is better specced to be honest? Each to their own though :-)
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    be prepared that when you go to Decathlon, you'll come out with more than the bike, they do some cracking stuff in there that is very good value for money.

I almost bought one of their bikes, but they never had any stock (popular?)
    I ended up with a Boardman on the cycle 2 work scheme. They also have a new entry level bike, not sure how much it is compared to the triban
  • ianspeare
    ianspeare Posts: 110
    Buy a bike that YOU like. Simple as that. All the hours/weeks you spend looking for bikes and discussing on forums are hours/weeks that could be spent riding

As mentioned, don't forget to budget for kit. Since I got my bike, I've bought:

A long sleeve jersey, short sleeve jersey, bib shorts, leggings, base layer, windproof jacket, helmet, buff, shoes, socks, bottle cages, bidons, mini pump, repair kit, multi tool, 2 spare tubes. Gloves and sunglasses I have from my MTB/BMX days.

I intend to upgrade to SPD pedals in a few weeks, but the standard ones will do for now. I also intend to get a track pump for home and a few more tools and thing. That'll cost me about another £250, so don't forget to add that to the budget too
  • Peter91
    ianspeare wrote:
    Buy a bike that YOU like. Simple as that. All the hours/weeks you spend looking for bikes and discussing on forums are hours/weeks that could be spent riding

As mentioned, don't forget to budget for kit. Since I got my bike, I've bought:

A long sleeve jersey, short sleeve jersey, bib shorts, leggings, base layer, windproof jacket, helmet, buff, shoes, socks, bottle cages, bidons, mini pump, repair kit, multi tool, 2 spare tubes. Gloves and sunglasses I have from my MTB/BMX days.

I intend to upgrade to SPD pedals in a few weeks, but the standard ones will do for now. I also intend to get a track pump for home and a few more tools and thing. That'll cost me about another £250, so don't forget to add that to the budget too

Tell me about it. I have to wait until the end of uni term (2 weeks) before I can get to decathlon. I am chafing at the bit, believe me.