More buying advice £500 ish

antiguaman
antiguaman Posts: 13
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Ok was original looking at Halfords Carrera range and probably a Vulcan but now decided with an online 10% discount could get new Kraken at £400 which going by guides appears on paper a good buy

However also been to cycle surgery and Evans and with their offers of finance just wondering if there's something better i could pick up in and around £500 bracket from them

Do I stick with Halfords or other suggestions please of something similar perhaps better spec than the Kraken

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Right above your post
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12875967
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cheers Cooldad, previously seen that - but thats all decathlon / halfords related

Just wondering if anyone had suggestios of what I could get frm Cycle Surgery / Evans for my budget, as their finance options make it a possibility to stretch the budget slightly
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    Kraken is a nice bike, got a really good review in the magazine and looks nice, You might have to spend a few hundred more to get something from one of those shops thats similar to the bikes Halfords have unless they have some special offers
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You'll most probably be stretching your budget but not actually get a better bike!
  • You'll most probably be stretching your budget but not actually get a better bike!
    Thanks Chunkers, just wanted to know that i was not throwing my £400 away when I could perhaps opt for something better on a monthly basis from one of those stores
  • LJ. wrote:
    Kraken is a nice bike, got a really good review in the magazine and looks nice, You might have to spend a few hundred more to get something from one of those shops thats similar to the bikes Halfords have unless they have some special offers
    Cheers LJ, kraken does look impressive and even better with the 10% bring it to £400, especially the great review of one of the best sub £500 bikes available

probably would be looking at nearer £600 in one of the other stores, just wanted to know that i was not throwing my £400 away when I could perhaps opt for something better on a monthly basis from one of those stores
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    The answer is no. You are unlikely to find a better bike for £600 from the other stores you mention.
  • stiscooby
    stiscooby Posts: 139
    Keep an eye out on the Halfords web site. I recently picked up a Boardman Comp for £589 (normally £699). Little bit over your budget but they had 2 offers on at the same time with money off - £50 off and £60 off if spending over £600 (or something very similar). :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pauls cycles is the only place you may get a better buy, but you'll need to be lucky even then!

10% off at halfords with Britich cycling membership, and then you can get cashback through Quidco as well!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.