Chainring issues

bikemanspen
bikemanspen Posts: 101
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
So today my gears were would not let select the large chainring near to my pedal! The chain did not like it at all so I left it till I got home after washing the bike I noticed the teeth were badly damaged and it will need replacing.
Is this an easy fix? Can somebody shed some light on the job in hand as I've not done one before. Also what is likely to cause this?
Cheers in advance
Cube agree pro 2013
Trek fuel ex8 2009 (rootbeer)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds more like you need to add some tension to the cable.

you realise the teeth are not uniform and are shaped to aid shifting?

see
    img1806ka4.jpg

and some are more aggressive than that.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    So today my gears were would not let select the large chainring near to my pedal!

More likely a derailleur issue, surely? Check the stop screws and cables. The chances of the teeth being so badly damaged that the chain won't actually fit over them is vanishingly small.
  • bikemanspen
    Cheers for the replies mine seems a little more aggressive than the one in the pic. Do you think I could take up some of the tension using the twisty bit next to the shifter?

If not I might take it to the bike shop for them to have a look.

Once again thanks for the help as I'm only learning ATM.
    ;)
    Cube agree pro 2013
  • bikemanspen
    Cheers for the replies mine seems a little more aggressive than the one in the pic. Do you think I could take up some of the tension using the twisty bit next to the shifter?

If not I might take it to the bike shop for them to have a look.

Once again thanks for the help as I'm only learning ATM.
    ;)
    Cube agree pro 2013
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a read of the parktools guide to setting up front mechs, link in Nicks sig above, it may be a cable tension issue in which case you use the adjuster (aka twisty thing) it may be a stops issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.