First 50+ done today. Some big climbs too!

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Really pleased with this ride today, set off for the Burbage Moor climb (No 128 in Another 100 Greatest Climbs) and with the help of Garmin Courses I found it and more importantly made it up. Some amazing scenery!

Only time I stopped (2mins) today was to grab a few pics at the top of the above climb, obviously some climbs were a struggle and very tough but I was proud I kept going and didn't get off the bike. Hydrated well before I left the house and only used 750ml of drink, banana, 2 x cereal bars and a few haribo to keep me going. I've found not gulping drink down in the first few miles really helps, just kept sipping.

Have to say that from someone who can get lost in my own house the Garmin Courses feature worked a treat, 7-8 times I took the wrong option on the turn (my fault) but within a few yards "Off Course" beeping had me turning around. This is a godsend for me! Check out my ride below.

http://app.strava.com/activities/42941841
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/279708045

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    well done - thats most impressive - i find you learn more about yourself on the climbs where you have to mentally convince yourself to just keep turning the peddles - as opposed to those where you learn what gear suits you best. Sipping is the key, little and often - when the hotter days arrive have a look at tablets like high 5 - really good at keeping you hydrated. Well done anyway, a couple of nasty climbs you bagged there.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Doffs hat.

Well done that man
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • supermurph09
    well done - thats most impressive - i find you learn more about yourself on the climbs where you have to mentally convince yourself to just keep turning the peddles - as opposed to those where you learn what gear suits you best. Sipping is the key, little and often - when the hotter days arrive have a look at tablets like high 5 - really good at keeping you hydrated. Well done anyway, a couple of nasty climbs you bagged there.

Thank you, I knew the climbs were within me, just needed to dig in, keep turning and not get too tight to the bend when they switch back a little. I actually used a High 5 Tablet today, bought a tube the other day, very good, certainly a lot better than the powerade I was using!
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    what a cracking effort and some serious climbing..nice one
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Peak district= awesome. Castleton/Winnets pass/ The Strines/ Holme Moss/ Hope circuit/Ladybower/Snake pass. WE BE LUCKY BUGGERS.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • supermurph09
    pride4ever wrote:
    Peak district= awesome. Castleton/Winnets pass/ The Strines/ Holme Moss/ Hope circuit/Ladybower/Snake pass. WE BE LUCKY BUGGERS.

We sure are, Winnats pass will be done soon, it was just a little out my range yesterday. Riber will be one of the biggest challenges I think. 9/10 rating in 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs.
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    I see you went close to Bakewell. I drove down there last summer and the area is just stunning. Proper riding country!!

Kudos!!