Deore inner chainring installation

Astrozombies!
Astrozombies! Posts: 55
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello people,

I have bought a brand new SLX double chainset (m665) and am replacing the chainrings with the steel deore versions (m532). The replacement chain rings have the same number of teeth as the slx ones.

I'm having some trouble working out which way the steel deore inner chain ring is supposed to be installed. The SLX inner ring I took off had the writing facing the NON-drive side, and so I thought this would be the same orientation for the Deore ring... But when I put the deore ring on top of the SLX with both rings' writing facing the same way, the teeth do not line up. If I reverse the deore ring and put it back on top of the SLX ring (so now the sides with writing on are facing each other), the rings line up perfectly.

Does this mean the orientation for the deore ring is opposite to that of the SLX (i.e. the writing points towards the DRIVE side?). I've looked on shimano tech docs and elsewhere but cannot find a straight answer...

Here are some pictures to show what I mean (SLX ring is underneath the silver Deore one in both pics):

Writing facing opposite way:
8524394207_ba8199817b_b.jpg
Untitled by astrozombies!, on Flickr

writing facing same way:
8525505306_2374826dc5_b.jpg
Untitled by astrozombies!, on Flickr

Comments