New Saddle

teeoffchris
teeoffchris Posts: 42
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
So the new bike has had a few outings now and have now concluded the saddle is like sitting on a razor blade !

What are you all using at the moment. Really need something that I can sit on for at least 5hrs !

Cheers all

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try a forum search - regular topic and millions of threads.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Just stick with the saddle you have,i found mine got easier with time,butt felt well bruised at first after a few miles,now i can ride 40 miles on single track with no problem
  • cooldad wrote:
    Try a forum search - regular topic and millions of threads.

Didnt have much luck on the search to be honest. All seemed quite old posts and wondered what the current thinking was from people.
  • Just stick with the saddle you have,i found mine got easier with time,butt felt well bruised at first after a few miles,now i can ride 40 miles on single track with no problem

yeah was keen to stick with the one it came with as it is colour coded with the frame but 6 rides in and it is still cutting the granny out of me :lol:
  • cooldad
    In that case a Charge Spoon, or random other saddles. Personal really depends on your bum, but the Charge seems to fit a lot. And a cheap experiment, you can get one for £17.50 and sell on easy enough.
    But mainly it's a matter of toughening up your butt.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But any saddle colour coded with the frame should be changed anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Body geometry saddle

Go to a good Specialized dealer and have a sit on the 'measuring pad' check your sit bone measurement and choose the correct saddle size for your type of riding.

As long as you don't destroy the packaging or damage the saddle you can return it if you don't get on with it, I've got one it's the most comfortable saddle I own.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    pilch wrote:
    Body geometry saddle

Go to a good Specialized dealer and have a sit on the 'measuring pad' check your sit bone measurement and choose the correct saddle size for your type of riding.

As long as you don't destroy the packaging or damage the saddle you can return it if you don't get on with it, I've got one it's the most comfortable saddle I own.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^
    I tried a Phenom Expert but did not get on with it so took it back after giving it 3 weeks and changed it for a Henge Expert, get on really well with this and will defiantly get another when it wears out
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited March 2013
    All seemed quite old posts and wondered what the current thinking was from people.
    I don't think the human backside has evolved much in the last few millenia, so no need for saddles to change!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    All seemed quite old posts and wondered what the current thinking was from people.
    I don't think the human backside has evolved much in the last few millenia, so no need for saddles to change!
    Idiot, I did not say that.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • AlexJCook
    AlexJCook Posts: 108
    I would suggest finding an LBS which offers one of the saddle ranges where you can sit on the little Gel Bench thingy. This will give you a rough idea of the width between your sitbones.

I am a small fella, but have slightly wider than normal sitbones. This is not the same as how fat your arse is!

I spent a long time trying various saddles, all with similar issues, regardless of shape or padding. Problem was just 10mm worth of width at the back!

It was a revelation when I sat on a Bontrager one of these, then took that information away and found saddles which are plenty racey, but with a little additional width. My favourite is the WTB Devo. Minimal padding, but a wider platform to rest on.
  • The Rookie
    cooldad wrote:
    Idiot, I was referring to the line from teeoffchris I was quoting which funnily enough related to what I said......

Somedays I think you could start a fight in a phone box!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Idiot, I was referring to the line from teeoffchris I was quoting which funnily enough related to what I said......

Somedays I think you could start a fight in a phone box!
    Yeah but you had a quote fail, so I looked like an idiot, which is fine, except I prefer to do it myself.
    cooldad wrote:
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yeah but you had a quote fail, so I looked like an idiot, which is fine, except I prefer to do it myself.

Did he? I thought it was pretty obvious he was referring to Chris's point, nearly made the same one myself.

Decent Spesh dealers have demo saddles as well now, there's Toupes, Phenoms and Romins, and probably others. I always liked Phenoms on the MTB, found Toupes too fragile and prone to snagging your shorts.

Current bike came with a Bontrager Evoke RXL Carbon which I couldn't be bothered to change because it needed a different seatpost clamp etc, but actually it's really comfy.
  • cooldad
    He did, because he's an idiot. See post above yours. Don't join the club.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    CD, see what you mean now, I appreciate you don't need any more help to look like an idiot, so I've edited it!
  • cooldad
    CD, see what you mean now, I appreciate you don't need any more help to look like an idiot, so I've edited it!
    I still have the quote evidence. Idiot.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    That's not evidence, easy to edit quotes as I proved - sorry could prove......
  • cooldad
    Fair enough
    That's not evidence, I burnt all the pictures proving I am a cross dressing paedo......
    You are quite right. Too easy.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    cooldad wrote:
    Fair enough
    That's not evidence, I burnt all the pictures proving I am a cross dressing paedo......
    You are quite right. Too easy.
        not quite all :twisted:
        Hell2008GaryGlitter.jpg
        Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
      • DanDax1990
        DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
        Charge Spoon or do what others said, get it properly measured.

I got a Spoon and it worked out fine for me. They hold up really well too.