cleaning / lubing disc brake calipers

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Is it necessary to spray any degreaser / light oil (GT85) or soapy water into the inside of the disc brake calipers at all (with pad removed obviously).

I'm replacing pads and wondered whether any lubrication of the inside was necessary.

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bake cleaner to remove crap. if bits are stuck use something to remove it.

then after some of the same brake fluid on a cotton pad wiped around the piston before pressing them home is good.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks Nick.

On inspection of the pistons I have noticed that only one piston appears to be moving when the lever is pulled. This is on both brakes. The pads were worn evenly. Is this normal?
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,170
    no. both pistons should move.
  • 02GF74 wrote:
    no. both pistons should move.

Not necessarily true, some hydraulic and most (?) mechanical disc brakes have a fixed pad.
  • They are Elixir 3's.

I never noticed a problem whilst in use, so not sure whats going on. More importantly how do I fix it?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With no resistance it's not at all unusual for one only to move, if you can hold it in place easily and the other move then nothing wrong, the chances of both moving at the exact same pressure is slimmer than me winning the euromillions this week.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.