Cracked my Boardman Pro HT frame

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Glanced down on the start line of todays Gorrick. Noticed this hairline crack between the seat tube and the top tube.

I'm pretty sure it's a crack in the weld rather than cosmetic. The bike is creaking a little now (before it wasn't) - which reinforces this I guess..

What are people's thoughts? I'm pretty sure my two year frame warranty has expired by about 6 months...typically...

Can these be easily mended? tbh I am not too bothered if it doesn't look great....just can't really afford a new bike and don't want a catestrophic fail when riding. Sort of thing a reasonable welder may be able to fix?

Also - I am not heartless enough to stick it on ebay....as am sure someone will suggest! :shock:

BEciwCfCUAAKgMi.jpg:large

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Difficult to say, it may be cosmetic, would have to get someone or take a close look (or take the paint off). It is very unlikely you have any recourse with Halfords now, but it would be the first place I go to.
  • Mccraque
    I'll certainly head down there and ask. You never know...

should it be a crack - repairable or new frame?
  • supersonic
    Dead frame. They can be rewelded, or gusseted up, but not always cheap and might not last.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Carrera has a 'crack' that looks just like that but is definately just the paint.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mccraque
    I hope you're right but what makes you so sure? Have you sanded the area?
  • The Rookie
    Nope, marked the ends up and measured it every ride for a while, if it was a crack it would be spreading, after all the more it cracks, the more strain on the remaining metal.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Go to Halfords and see what they can do. If you're nice and say you think you may be out of warranty but not sure you may get lucky.

We had a boy with a Road Team Carbon get a free frame a year out of warranty. Halfords HO just want minimal fuss regardless of who's at fault (really fucking annoying if you know the rider is at fault and can prove it).
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    How high was the seatpost?
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,170
    don 't disapir, it could be the paint. are you able to see any movement when you sit on he bike ?
    only way to tell is to take the paint off.

aluminium frames can be repaired but bear in mind some of the more exotic aluminiuim alloys need heat treatment.
  • Mccraque
    It's most certainly dead.

I have a couple of friends who work for a well known formula 1 team and they've managed to scan the bike using a borescope (to see inside the tube - defo crack all the way through) and additionally a dye penetrant / UV image.

to coin their teminology - "It's farked".

I'll take back to Halfords as has only been ridden lightly (I use a zesty for anything remotely meaty) and is only a few months out of warranty. Hopefully they'll be able to suggest something. Their head office asked me to take it to the store....so fingers crossed.
  • Mccraque
    BE2JpuNCcAI31KN.jpg:large
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not good news, but I love science.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Pretty picture of something unpretty!

Worth mentioning the sale of goods act as it trumps the warranty.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That is awesome. Shane though. You don't live near MK do you?
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Pretty picture of something unpretty!

Worth mentioning the sale of goods act as it trumps the warranty.

Hate people who start waving "acts" around. Fair enough if they won't sort it but give them a chance first.
  • The Rookie
    I didn't say not to give them a chance first!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't you just hate people who jump to conclusions?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    How have you concluded that people have jumped to conclusions. That is hateful!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Think that was a dig at the starter.
  • Mccraque
    I've just been in to Halfords and they've been more than helpful thus far.

They need to speak to HO and Boardman to see what is available. Doubt I can get the same frame unfortunately which would mean an equivalent in this years model.

Problem is - it's not what I want really. 120mm. I prefer the racier geometry of the older model and the 100mm fork.

To that point - if they just swap the frame...how would that work with a 100mm fork?

EDIT: Just had a call from the store. They have the old model still in stock. Frame should be here within a couple of days and they're going to swap everything over and build it up for me this week.

They have their detractors - but I have to say that Halfords have been great on this occasion.
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    That's good news. They were probably still in shock with the diagnostics you put the frame through.

& you have a fantastic pic for your profile if you choose to use it too ;)
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • supersonic
    great result, gone out of their way for you there!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have no idea if its practical but could a cracked Ali frame be fixed by wrapping the joint in epoxy coated carbon fibre cloth. Would look fugging ugly but as a way of keeping a frame running whilst funds build up for a replacement it might be a goer. Anyone on here who knows what they are talking about and could give a yay or nay or even an only if you hate your teeth and like hospital food opinion.

ps Cool picture I am intensely jealous of you knowing engineers from an F1 team.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • carbonkid
    carbonkid Posts: 52
    stubs wrote:
    I have no idea if its practical but could a cracked Ali frame be fixed by wrapping the joint in epoxy coated carbon fibre cloth. Would look fugging ugly but as a way of keeping a frame running whilst funds build up for a replacement it might be a goer. Anyone on here who knows what they are talking about and could give a yay or nay or even an only if you hate your teeth and like hospital food opinion.

ps Cool picture I am intensely jealous of you knowing engineers from an F1 team.

no,no,and no.yes carbon is very strong but its not a magic do it all fix for anything, by the way anyone else noticed how many cracked boardman frames are for sale on ebay all the time??? lots!