Best place to try helmets??

ted-on-tour
ted-on-tour Posts: 225
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
I'm on the lookout for a new lid, however, as you all know they come in various different shapes and finding one that fits and is comfortable can be a pain.

I've tried halfords :oops: and my local evans' and I'm going to leisure lakes tomorrow but other than that I cant think of many other places to try before I buy?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Pain is a momentary lapse of character.

Comments

• ted-on-tour
    I'm on the lookout for a new lid, however, as you all know they come in various different shapes and finding one that fits and is comfortable can be a pain.

I've tried halfords :oops: and my local evans' and I'm going to leisure lakes tomorrow but other than that I cant think of many other places to try before I buy?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Try Googling bike shops and your local big town.
  • ted-on-tour
    Ive already been down that route, only to find my LBS' are not that great and don't have a huge selection of helmets for me to try on.
    Just dont wanna pull the trigger on a new lid to find it doesnt fit properly and go through the palarva of returns etc...
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    ted, I find the free returns Wiggle and CRC offer excellent for testing out size and fit of new gear. If it doesn't work out you just re-wrap and drop it off at local Collect+ store. It's a very straight forward process.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Errr... Aside from bike shops there really isn't anywhere else. That is until the magical helmet store opens.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    indyP wrote:
    ted, I find the free returns Wiggle and CRC offer excellent for testing out size and fit of new gear. If it doesn't work out you just re-wrap and drop it off at local Collect+ store. It's a very straight forward process.

I bought a medium and large giro aeon from CRC after calling them and saying I would definately be sending back at least one of them. She said this was absolutely fine. Turns out neither was correct for my head so sent them both back via a Collect+ store.
    Money was refunded quickly once they'd received them back.
    No hassles whatsoever.
  • ted-on-tour
    Problem solved it seems....Thanks chaps/chapettes.
  • ted-on-tour
    Gap in the market??
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Did no one say "on your head"?

Gawd.... some people line 'em up and no one knocks 'em down...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    You live in West Brom? Even if you don't drive if you get yourself into B'ham there are plenty of large shops for trying on different brands/models.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • wiggle, and collect plus is your friend.

by a sh*t load of whatever, stick it on the CC, try it on find what fits/looks best at home at your leisure, then stick it all back in the box and collect+ it for free, refund on the CC will be done within a couple of days of you sending the parcel back, leaving you free to find the chosen product size/style on the web at the cheapest price from somewhere (usually not wiggle, even with a plinum discount!)
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    wow are they really that different in fit? I was in Costco one day, saw a deal on a bell helmet, picked the right colour and that was it.

The strap adjusts and there is a dial at the rear that makes it bigger or smaller :mrgreen:

when I replace it, I think I'll have a shop around (it was the wife's fault)
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    mrbubbaman wrote:
    wow are they really that different in fit?
    - they certainly are in my experience. I tried loads on before I got my current Giro (which fits really well).
    The dial makes it tighter or slacker, but it doesn't alter the basic shape - which needs to match the basic shape of your head, if you don't want discomfort.
    I tried plenty on that made my head feel either like a ball in a biscuit tin, or an oxo cube in a salad bowl.
    In fact maybe my head is a very odd shape, and my Giro is a 'second'! :roll:

Cheers,
    MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!