Had My First Mechanical

damov2
damov2 Posts: 66
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Went out for usual sunday ride, but changed the route around a little and one of the roads I'd added was a little rough, caught a pothole with the rear (not pleasant with 120psi tyre pressure). Carried on with my ride then a hit a nice bit of road and felt like I had flat spot on my rear tyre, I stopped to check it and found this :shock:
8524554262_47d9726ce0.jpg

8523441855_6e2ca79de2.jpg

After letting a little air out of the tyre I limped the last 7 miles home, So now what shall i buy to replace them?

Comments

• yeachan153
    yeachan153 Posts: 401
    have you taken the tyre out and checked its not the inner tube
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    tyres carcase is broken so def replace...inner tube maybe ok. As for a new tyre....how much you got to spend and what do you want it for ? ie. training, racing, winter etc
  • damov2
    turnerjohn wrote:
    tyres carcase is broken so def replace...inner tube maybe ok. As for a new tyre....how much you got to spend and what do you want it for ? ie. training, racing, winter etc

Training & sportive's so I'm looking for something decent! Don't mind spending whatever is needed for a good tyre. Will replace inner tube as a matter of course!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Yep - that definitely looks like part of the carcass has failed (the laminate layers have probably decided they are not keen on each other and started to slide apart). Don't ride it - it'll fail in a big way at some point.

Tyre recommendations are always amusing (to me anyway) - no matter what tyre it is, there seems to be people with amazing experiences with whatever tyre, but then they'll be people pop up and say "that tyre's rubbish, I got 27 p***tures in 10 miles and, by then, the tyre was worn to the carcass already anyway".

So, my recommendation for the absolute best all-round tyre is the Conti 4-Season. Someone will come along in a moment to say they're rubbish - but I use them on two of my bikes (and they are the two bikes I put the big mileage on). My commuting fixed has had 2 p***tures ever from memory - and one of them was a great big packing staple which no tyre on earth would survive. On the fixed, they get a real battering - typical London roads, so plenty of glass etc. to slash away at them, plus they have to carry the extra weight of panniers with laptop etc.. On the audax bike (which does intergalatic mileage), again, they perform superbly well - 1, sometimes 2, p***tures a year.

Grippy, roll well, fairly light, not insanely expensive (but not cheap), last a long time - what more do you want in life?
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    marcusjb wrote:
    Tyre recommendations are always amusing (to me anyway) - no matter what tyre it is, there seems to be people with amazing experiences with whatever tyre, but then they'll be people pop up and say "that tyre's rubbish, I got 27 p***tures in 10 miles and, by then, the tyre was worn to the carcass already anyway".

It's because tyres that do well with thorns are different to ones who do well with flint and are different again to ones who do well with glass. So if you ride a place where there's no flint you'll get a completely different experience to thorns.

The commuting tyres I use (32mm Sport Contact's) are great with glass, so they're really good in the city - except when they grit the road with flint, when they become a liability.

Continental tyres <28mm fail a very important test for me - they're way too tight on the rim, so take way too long to change if you do have a puncture, irrespective of their actual puncture performance.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • marcusjb
    I'll accept that argument to a degree. The audax bike goes everywhere and never seems to have any difference (though the one and only p***ture I got on an actual audax was over in Norfolk with flints a plenty).

But, yes, you're right as a generalisation.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've ridden 25mm Conti 4 seasons since I bought my road bike 5 years ago. Rarely puncture, great grip even in wet and cold, and I have no difficulty in fitting them on my RS10 wheels. Can't comment on any others since I haven't tried them
  • damov2
    I've plumped for Conti GP4000s, lets hope they last better than these!
  • marcusjb
    What are/were the tyre that failed by the way?
  • damov2
    marcusjb wrote:
    What are/were the tyre that failed by the way?

They were zaffiro vittoria I think!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    damov2 wrote:
    I've plumped for Conti GP4000s, lets hope they last better than these!
    Great tyres, I've got 2 sets on 2 different wheel-sets. The 4-seasons are good too, though I commute on them in London and they've let me down 4 times in 1,400 miles. The previous Gatorskins were much better in terms of p*ncture protection but much worse when it rained.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.