to those enthusiastic about mountain biking, i ask this-

Iskandar von Steuben
edited March 2013 in MTB general
to all those who mountain bike and are excited about mountain biking... i am a fashion student doing a research project to find out what mountain bikers want in terms of clothing. (sorry this is a bit weird but this is really the only way i can ask these questions and get a large range of feed back)
-1- in terms of clothing for mountain biking or cycling in general, what is missing?
-2- what would you like to see in shops?
-3- a very particular question... if a stylized and experimental total look or range of commercial clothing/gear was available would you be likely to buy a garment or look?
-4- would you like to see more fashionable cycle clothing that can be versatile and integrated into your lifestyle? (so something that can be worn not only when biking but also when in a social and public setting)
-5- if there was cycle gear(clothing) that was to follow the 'trend' of showing more skin.(( so kind like 'less is more' ) so for example a garment such as shorts or a shirt would have thoughtfully placed holes or missing elements to expose parts of the wearers body. things like an opening on the chest of a shirt to show off a mans pecs, or a large opening or vent across the shoulders, these examples in particular are to draw focus to masculine parts of the male body there for emphasizing the viewed masculinity of the wearer.) does this intrigue you? would the idea of these garments interest you? do you think you would be likely to purchase a garment that has elements of this 'trend'?

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    1) I dunno, I can find everything I want or need, and it's not like you have to wear cothing specific to cycling to ride a bike, as long as it's practical and up to the job I'll wear it.

2) Bikes? I seem to be able to get everything I'd expect to be able to get from a bike shop in a bike shop.

3) No... I'm riding a bike, I'd rather have something practical, it's going to get covered in mud anyway.

4) There's plenty of stuff I wear out on the bike and out about elsewhere anyway, it's handy to have stuff that isn't just for cycling, but at the same time it's not the be all and end all.

5) That sounds stupid. Clothes provide to some degree some protection for the skin when you fall off, why take parts of them away to look "good"... rather wear something practical and comfy than look like a tosser and have more skin exposed than I need to. Can't really see that having many takers in when it comes to mountain biking if I'm honest.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    1. Nothing
    2. The problem is the shops stocking things, not the clothes not being available.
    3. How 'experimental' are we talking? I think some Mavic stuff is pretty heavily stylised, rather than just being ordinary jerseys with different prints/colours.
    4. Cycling clothing ends up looking like shit from mud and crashes, so the chances of wearing them in 'fancier' settings is pretty small, no matter how nice it looked when new.
    5. Italian brands have been doing similar stuff for ages. Not necessarily with cutouts, but with prints and colour-blocking to accentuate certain shapes/areas. Vents and holes that serve no practical purpose are unlikely to be popular, imo.
  • thank you for the reply to my questions. your feed back will help inform my design process. i hope more people reply. any feed back is good feed back. see im trying to eliminate ideas from my designs to find out which idea and which design will have the most potential for success.
  • 1. Nothing
    2. A helpful employee...
    3. No, I buy what is priced well & is the best fit for purpose.
    4. Nope, I wear my muddy biking stuff for biking, crap dripping off my shirt will never impress.
    5. The more on show, the more covered in mud & the more skin that could get all messed up when I fall off. Also I don't go mountain biking to pull girls so how I look isn't something I give much thought to.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    1 Things that will turn me into a gnarrly riding god.
    2 Things that will turn me into a gnarrly riding god.
    3 Things that will turn me into a gnarrly riding god.
    4 As my lifestyle is posting sh1t on the internet......Maybe a dressing gown.
    5 I can't wait to see exposed beer bellies and moobs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    1. Nothing really
    2. More of what is available online
    3. Not a chance. Took me ages to stop,wearing baggies over my Lycra on the road bike
    4. Not a huge issue for me as I tend to peel myself out of wet/muddy clothes in the car park before heading off anyway, but the bike mags seem to like the 'bike to pub' aspect of some clothing. I think your idea of making it more 'fashionable' might actually be a negative. Most seem to be of the 'jeans and a fleece' type of look - not skinny ripped jeans that only cover half of your arse, canvas checked shoes and an asymmetric haircut teamed with oversized thick framed glasses...
    5. Might get a more enthusiastic response on the road forums
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    -1 A better range of gloves that support the carpal tunnel and associated bones during impacts.
    -2 Fetching female assistants wearing what you have described in Q5
    -3 No. Mountain biking is surely one of the few sports that hasn't been invaded by fashionistas. Couriers and hipsters in The City however, might be a better target audience for you.
    -4 Not really. I would never buy a riding garment for it's fashion. This would of course entail replacing said kit each season as the fashions change, and I just don't see my riding gear as being disposable in that way. Mountain biking isn't a lifestyle like, iPods and 'Hipster' is. It's a way of getting away from society and I don't need to proclaim to people that I'm a mountain biker. I don't get on the trails to look good to other people, I get on the trails to find the reset button that hides somewhere in the technical twists of ribbons of dirt.
    -5 Dirt and crashes does not a good bed-fellow make with 'sexy'.
  • 1. I've got hold of everything I think I need
    2. The range and discounts of the giant online stores would be nice, but unrealistic in LBS's
    3. I'd never buy a "total look." If I need new shorts, I get them; if I need a new base layer, I get one etc'
    4. Although I do buy things I like the look of, it has to do what it's supposed to first (be waterproof, comfortable etc') and I would never wear anything I bike in to the boozer, it's all covered in cr@p and smells pretty musty!
    5. No offence if this is your idea, but this is bonkers. What kind of a poncey poser would want a hole in their shirt to show the other mtb'ers on the trail their hairy chest!?
  • scarbs85
    scarbs85 Posts: 170
    Sets of clothing, as such, never get worn together anyway because it might be too hot/cold for a particular jersey, shorts might be in the wash etc etc. As others have said, I buy the bit I need when I need it, not a matching outfit.

Durability and comfort are key.
  • thanks so much for the feed back, i am going to take your advice and also post this question or similar one in the 'roadie' section. i am also putting together another questionnaire based of the feed back i have been given and the new designs/ideas i have come up with from this feed back and will post it in this forum . i hope you will all reply to it or at least read it, your feed back will be greatly appreciated. thanks again.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    1. Quality gear at reasonable prices is hard to find
    2. I would like to see better quality gear at more reasonable prices
    3. All kit looks the same when your covered in mud
    4. I don't care about fashion when I ride. For people who do there's always the over priced Troy Lee kit.
    5. Why would I want to show more skin when riding? More exposed skin is just more potential for gravel rash, nettle stings and insect bites.

Most mountain bikers seem to be men in their thirties, why would they want to show off more flesh? Unless of course they want to do a spot of mid ride cottaging.
  • FatMikeUK
    FatMikeUK Posts: 51
    1. There's nothing that really springs to mind. Simply making things that already exist cheaper/lighter etc (thin winter gloves, breathable waterproofs and so on). Basically what kit companies do anyway.
    2. Like I already said, cheap effective gear.
    3. If I liked it, it worked and was comfortable (and not overpriced) of course I would, the same as I would anything.
    4. Sure. Versatility is always nice, but I'm unlikely to group social gear with MTB gear purely due to the fact that MTB gear takes a hell of a battering. If it was new then I might wear it a few times, but it's unlikely to stay "socially acceptable" after more than a few muddy slippery rides. Commuter gear on the other hand might be a bit better, and more useful too. Riding to the pub in proper cycling gear then not feeling like a tit standing around in leggings seems like a dream. I can definitely see a future there for the likes of SPD shoes which look like actual shoes rather than dodgy trainers.
    5. It's an idea...I can see a demand for that sort of kit in certain clubs...but I don't think it would be my cup of tea, and I can't imagine anyone getting away with wearing that kind of thing on a ride without a monumental amount of piss-taking. But whatever floats your boat.

Good luck!
  • 1.I don't feel anything is missing.
    2.More variety, but I understand stocking everything is hard for retailers
    3. It depends... if it "clicked" I'd probably give it a go. As long as it was still practical and didn't look way overboard
    4. Yes, this would be very useful for commuting. I believe there are such products out there allready, but more won't hurt.
    5. I seriously doubt you'd sell a single piece of such cycling garment. It sounds like the complete opposite of fit for purpose. When it comes to mtb wear, it has to keep you warm/cool/dry as needed and sell at a reasonable price. If it looks good I'd be more likely to buy it, but not if it compromises the practical aspects. Remember - "technical outerwear"!

However, don't think that mountain bikers aren't fashion conscious. Some are quite a bit, and if you take a look on how most test riders on MTB press dress, the colour coordination and total matching look, well, it can be hilarious.
  • thanks so much everyone for your feed back, i have gathered the information i needed and this question now is useless. :) thanks for all your help. i will be posting further single questions from now on i think.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I'd say pretty much everything already exists. Whatever you do, drop number 5. Seriously, that is lame.

To help your research you ought to check out the existing brands for some ideas. Start here: http://www.raceface.com/

Good luck with it all.
    Many happy trails!