Thank you Ewan! (sp)

Teddy Westside
Teddy Westside Posts: 221
edited March 2013 in Road general
I decided to take the road bike out for a spin today and found myself crazily riding it up through the Pentland Hills despite having lovely slick Continental GP Force & Attack tyres on. I did fine until I planted my foot in a river and later lost an argument with a big muddy puddle! But all was well and I was riding back on my local cycle path until... I suffered a rapid rear tyre deflation. The light was fading and I was still a mile from home. Try as I might, that tyre was proving even harder than normal to get off.

Several commuters past by without a single shout of "ok?", which seems typical round here. No, maybe they don't have the tools to help but maybe I need to make a phone call or just need to know someone at least cares about my predicament (which actually does help the spirits).

But eventually, along came a good Samaritan (or he might have been with the Red Cross, I don't know!) by the name of Ewan (though I may have chosen the wrong spelling). Anyhoo, he proceeded to spend probably half an hour or so assisting me with the puncture. Despite our efforts it was still deflating so I had to walk the final mile home, hoping my road cleats would survive the pavement.

So, once again, thank you Ewan for demonstrating the spirit of the roadie which I try to follow myself. All the best for your charity Bike n Hike! 8)

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Anyhoo, he proceeded to spend probably half an hour or so assisting me with the puncture. Despite our efforts it was still deflating...

?? Do you mean that you got the tyre off, checked it to find the source of the puncture, fixed that (as in pulled out the offending item) then changed the tube and refitted the tyre...only to puncture again??

By the way, if you cannot get a tyre off even with tools and it takes two of you 30 mins to change a tube and inflate then it might be worth looking for a different wheel/tyre combo. Just saying.
  • I mean that we were in far from ideal conditions - poor light, muddy surroundings - that the hole in the tube was bigger than a piece of flint would normally cause and that I (we) patched the tube. The tyres have a very tight wire bead.

As for getting the tyre off, I'm not about to change my Conti GP Attack/Force combo, but if you want to stump up the cash (which I don't have to spare) for a new set of wheels, I'll be happy to accept. Just saying.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)