Ben Swift - top bloke.

rob churchill
rob churchill Posts: 272
edited March 2013 in Pro race
When was the last time you heard of a Premiership footballer saying to his fans; "I'm heading down the park for a kickabout, anyone want to come?"

But a couple of days ago this turned up on Twitter:

swiftytweet.jpg

And he was as good as his word, there this morning. Charming and friendly, as were the guys with him. He was particularly encouraging to the tongue-tied youngster who was my main reason for being there:

BEWJ0JECAAAj8Xn.jpg:large

Can't wait for Milan-San Remo now.
I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Such a great photo, Rob.

This is what its all about...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I like Swifty, seemed like a really nice guy when I met him as well.
  • Didn't Armstrong do something similar? :wink:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Didn't Armstrong do something similar? :wink:
    Armstrong also breathed air and ate food. Do you breath air and eat food? Because if you do then you are a proven scumbag of the highest order
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Armstrong also breathed air and ate food. Do you breath air and eat food? Because if you do then you are a proven scumbag of the highest order

Prada-Saffiano-Lux-Tote.jpg
  • I'm beginning to think we need a bike forum equivalent of Godwin's Law, one that applies when anyone invokes Armstrong rather than Hitler. :|
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Prada-Saffiano-Lux-Tote.jpg

So a cyclist goes out of his way to meet people and Rob and (I assume) his son have had an all round nice time and all you can do is make a snide comment about it (And it was good of Armstrong to do it too - he's not pure evil, you know).

Swift has made a young man's day - whereas you're just being a dick.
    I'm beginning to think we need a bike forum equivalent of Godwin's Law, one that applies when anyone invokes Armstrong rather than Hitler. :|

I think I've suggested exactly that several times before.
  • RichN95 wrote:

Gez, lighten up. It was just a joke! Do you really think I'm suggesting Ben Swift is like Lance Armstrong?

OK, I apologise to Ben Swift for suggesting that he pure evil, like Amstrong and Hitler.

Happy?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Gez, lighten up. It was just a joke! Do you really think I'm suggesting Ben Swift is like Lance Armstrong?

OK, I apologise to Ben Swift for suggesting that he pure evil, like Amstrong and Hitler.

Happy?

Don't worry about it. The one thing I've learned over the years is that cycling is populated by people who want to sneer at others. The sorts that have a pop at a new rider because they have the wrong bike or wrong clothes. Or the sort that, when they see a pro giving their time to kids, doesn't think 'good for him', but instead makes some sarky doping comment.

Ben Swift has done a good deed here and all you can do is link him to doping. Don't you think that makes you a dick? Because you are being a dick. I called you on it and you did the usual BS defence of 'handbags' and 'lighten up' (and there wasn't even an actual joke as claimed anyway). But you've still been a dick. We've all done it - just don't compound it.,

If some of you cyclists stopped behaving like smug knowing pricks and were a little more welcoming, then maybe you clubs wouldn't be dying on their arse.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Don't worry about it. The one thing I've learned over the years is that cycling is populated by people who want to sneer at others. The sorts that have a pop at a new rider because they have the wrong bike or wrong clothes. Or the sort that, when they see a pro giving their time to kids, doesn't think 'good for him', but instead makes some sarky doping comment.

Ben Swift has done a good deed here and all you can do is link him to doping. Don't you think that makes you a dick? Because you are being a dick. I called you on it and you did the usual BS defence of 'handbags' and 'lighten up' (and there wasn't even an actual joke as claimed anyway). But you've still been a dick. We've all done it - just don't compound it.,

If some of you cyclists stopped behaving like smug knowing pricks and were a little more welcoming, then maybe you clubs wouldn't be dying on their ars*.

Wow, thanks for the lecture Dad.

Anyway, apologies to Rob for derailing the thread and being a dick. Hope you and the boy had a great ride. I'm out...
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    When was the last time you heard of a Premiership footballer saying to his fans; "I'm heading down the park for a kickabout, anyone want to come?"

BEWJ0JECAAAj8Xn.jpg:large

^This is what makes our sport so great and is what inspires future champions. Lots of biographies all have a Cav or a Wiggo in a picture as a kid with one of their hero's at a meet.

chapeau to Swift and i expect to see your boy in the pro ranks in a few years time Rob!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Excellent stuff (apart from the handbags above). I bet your lad was so chuffed. With all the crap that circulates about doping and stuff, it's sometimes easy to forget what a supportive and open sport we are part of, with some really great people involved. God forbid it ever becomes like football, from either a fan or player perspective.
  • I'm beginning to think we need a bike forum equivalent of Godwin's Law, one that applies when anyone invokes Armstrong rather than Hitler. :|

It's a pity that a good news/positive thread like this goes a bit off the rails, I bet you won't be showing it to your son now.

However on a more upbeat note, I bet your lad was well chuffed with meeting Ben and getting such a great picture?
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Can't believe I didn't see this tweet!! Just around the corner. Did you join the ride?
  • However on a more upbeat note, I bet your lad was well chuffed with meeting Ben and getting such a great picture?

I was worried about last minute problems so I didn't tell him we'd be riding with Ben until we got there and I found one of Ben's crew - so it was a total surprise for him. He was completely star-struck and tongue-tied, and he's kicking himself for not asking Ben anything or wishing him well for Milan-San Remo, but he was so chuffed with the jersey Ben gave him he wouldn't let Ben sign it! He's still bouncing off the ceiling.

As for the Armstrong quip, I like talking and reading about pro cycling, but I mostly come here for the banter. It's inevitable that the odd joke will miss the mark a bit, could be me next time, so I don't hold anything against greasedscotsman.
  • Islwyn wrote:
    Can't believe I didn't see this tweet!! Just around the corner. Did you join the ride?

Yes we did - and he did say he planned to do it again from time to time, so keep an eye on his feed for the next one.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Islwyn wrote:

+1 & gutted
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Rich got out of bed the wrong side today, not like him :shock:

A great thing for Swifty to do, no doubt some of the guys on Beginners would have found the average a bit slow for their liking and left him for dead though :lol:

Can't believe he gave the top away and classic that your lad wouldn't let him sign it. A brand new, unused Sky jersey must be worth a few quid on eBay!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Ach, money cant buy that experience Rob's lad had yday. That jersey will never be out of his sight...
  • Ach, money cant buy that experience Rob's lad had yday. That jersey will never be out of his sight...

Too true, unfortunately. It's one of the pro-team jerseys, not the replicas, and it's my size too. But it will never be out of his sight... :(
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Great story & pic - twitter does have it's uses!
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898

Who...... oh yeah that bloke. No don't think he did anything in cycling, well not at least now I have applied the mind bleach to remove anything he did cycling related, something to do with if you can't pay the time don't do the crime :D
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.