Accidently did a metric 100....

Inutero
Inutero Posts: 111
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
I was planning on a nice gentle 50 miler, or a fairly flat course yesterday. Got to the turn around point and thought i'd go back on the opposite side of the river. Its about 6 miles longer but a little hillier.

As soon as i got to the other side, it started to go wrong. Several road closure lead to some rather long diversions, one even put me on the main road, with everything flying past me at 60 mph (scary when i only ever plan routes on b roads). I got to the 50 mile point and saw a sign for 16 miles to home. :shock: I think that was the longest, slowest and painful miles I've done on a bike.

In the end though i'm well chuffed that i managed it and that when i got up this morning, as much as i was suffering yesterday, i felt like i hadn't been on the bike yesterday.

http://app.strava.com/activities/42658240

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Well done, that looks a lovely scenic route - I love the fact you rode through glenc-arse - I've think we've all had that on long bike rides. You were only 35 miles short of a ton, d'you reckon you could have added them on, or maybe try it another time ?
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Congrats,thats a good effort.looks a luvly place to ride aswel.whats your next target?.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Inutero
    I was really struggling by the end. i don't think i could have done much more than i did. But i am hoping to get the 100 done when i'm off work in a month. Hopefully i can that kind of mileage done on a regular basis to get the fitness up for the longer distance.
  • Inutero
    elderone wrote:
    Congrats,thats a good effort.looks a luvly place to ride aswel.whats your next target?.

Yeh, its a lovely area. River Tay on both sides, nice quiet roads, apart from the diversions :evil:

Next target is 100 miles.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Well done for that one! Looks like you've got some decent climbs on there.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I would love to cycle that run. Was up there on Tuesday and the weather was stunning. Might do it the next time I am up at my parents in Fife.
  • Inutero
    Calpol wrote:
    I would love to cycle that run. Was up there on Tuesday and the weather was stunning. Might do it the next time I am up at my parents in Fife.

It's been sunny all this week. Knew i had a day off on Friday and i was praying it would be the same, and it was. The sudden stop on the road to Newburgh was one of the roads they were digging up, so had to back track on to the main road. It's the usual route so its basically up and down the Tay.
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    kudos given well done fella
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211