fitting new rear mech

hainman
hainman Posts: 699
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
my mates rear mech went t*** up the other day so he bought a new one,went from deore to SLX....

fitted the mech last night,done the H&L screws and the b screw,tightened cable and indexed the gears but they seem to be stuttering a bit,have we missed something??

when it goes up the gears from small to big,it kinda stutters so a wee turn on the barrel adj and it goes ok,get up to big ring on cassette and coming back down it stutters again,wee play on the adj and it goes smooth,basically the middle of the cassette is the problem,it either goes up ok but not down or vice versa....

any help would be greatly appreciated...

thanks
Craig
Giant Reign 2
Crohnie

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which SLX mech?

sounds like a mucked up cable if the mech is correct.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Or the mech is not screwed on correctly
  • hainman
    9 sp shadow i think,his shifter is a bit sticky,as in when you shift from high to low gears it sometimes doesnt kick back straight away,the mech feels fine on but the new mech hanger he got also seems a mil or 2 thicker than the one that bent,would that be an issue or just done cable???
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    hainman wrote:
    or just done cable???
    No idea what that means, but if you didn't replace the cable, do so.
    The width of the hanger will make no difference if you set the mech up properly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • hainman
    yeh sorry meant the cable was done,ie time for the bin,will put new cable on and see how it runs,would that cause the shifter to stick also??

@chunkers1980 isnt it straight forward when screwing in the mech??
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No, you need the bump in the correct place so the mech sits correctly.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    hainman wrote:
    yeh sorry meant the cable was done,ie time for the bin,will put new cable on and see how it runs,would that cause the shifter to stick also??

@chunkers1980 isnt it straight forward when screwing in the mech??
    Yes, I may have mentioned it before, 99.999999999% of shifting problems are due to cables. Sticky shifter may also be worth a bit of a clean or lube.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I had exactly the same today when fitting a rear mech. I hadn't routed the cable properly, had it going under the lock nut rather than over it. As soon as I fixed that it indexed perfectly.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500