Family to Brittany?

thehairs1970
thehairs1970 Posts: 142
edited March 2013 in Tour & expedition
We are contemplating taking the kids to Brittany this summer on bikes. We live near Plymouth so Roscoff becomes the obvious starting point. Our two are 12 and 9 and most of all this should be a holiday. We are thinking of heading to Morlaix before heading back to the coast around Ploumanach. Anybody any ideas of routes in the area? Trials would be best but we can cope with minor roads too. Also is accommodation hard to find at this time of year? I'd prefer not to book ahead.

Martyn

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Camping?

Are you cycle touring or going by car and then riding?

I'm assuming you're going mid-July to end September.

Definitely take the voie verte into and out of Roscoff as the main road isn't very pleasant.

It's worth checking out the voies vertes. http://www.randobreizh.org/VeloroutesVo ... _index.php

Last time I looked Britanny ferries had some very good suggestions for cycle tours on their website.
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Brittany ferries routes are a good idea.

I only have experience of Morbihan to be honest, but the country lanes are numerous and very quiet for the most part all over Brittany. Its much less densely populated than the UK and you could just explore with a map very easily.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Outside of French national holiday time of August, things are pretty quiet in brittany and ideal for a cycling holiday. Morlaix has a couple of nice reasonably cheap hotels which are bike friendly. The local tourist office will sort you out if hotels are not your thing. The cycle from roscoff to morlaix is quite nice and not too challenging. There are some nice routes as stated above. The ev7 to Carhaix plouger is a good cycle path and there is a lovely ride to huelgoat which is very nice. Most routes are quiet and bike friendly

Pm me if you wish, I also live near Plymouth and I will help if I can!