Sram X9 type 2

97th choice
97th choice Posts: 2,222
edited March 2013 in MTB general
Fitted one today to my Trance, straight forward enough to fit and set up once I had realised my cable routing was wrong :oops:

From a limited run it has almost eliminated any chain noise, tested by riding down a flight of concrete steps, bunny hopping etc. Nothing long or serious enough to call a definitive test but it is looking highly promising.

Shifting is slightly firmer, no problems with gear selection but do you do feel that the chain is under increased tension, and I think the shifts are slighly slower as a result.

The cage lock function is genius, makes taking a wheel on and off so much easier. Not that it was ever a nightmare job but taking all the tension out is great, should make chain swapping easier too.

For 70 quid I reckon it's completely worth it.
Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
Radon ZR 27.5 Race
Btwin Alur700
Merida CX500

Comments

• dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I have an SLX shadow + and X0 type 2, I think the SLX has a slightly stronger clutch but I agree that the Sram cage lock is genius
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • 97th choice
    Got a chance to use it in anger this weekend, around 25k with jumps, roots drop offs and rock gardens.

Have to say that it massively reduces chain slap and noise, shifting is slightly slower but even pushing on through heavy rock gardens and the like it is virtually silent. Highly recommended.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Very impressed with my Shimano ones (and my garage-engineering 9-speed X9XT setup). Only thing that could tempt me off my lovely X9! (and even then, only because Shimano weren't shy about copying SRAM's feel)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Tbh do people really hear the noise of chain slap anyway? My neoprene chainslap protector seems to take most of the sting out and when i'm riding the last thing i'm concentrating on are the sounds coming from my bike.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I didn't notice or get bothered by chain slap before but it is nice now I don't really get any. The best thing is that I've never lost the chain on my 2x10 setup and I don't run a chainguide, that's riding pretty hard too.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • 97th choice
    Tbh do people really hear the noise of chain slap anyway? My neoprene chainslap protector seems to take most of the sting out and when i'm riding the last thing i'm concentrating on are the sounds coming from my bike.

Well I certainly did, found it very noticeable.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Northwind
    Think some bikes are louder than others... my Mmmbop was naturally quiet and that was the first time I'd ever really thought about it- going back to other louder bikes made it really noticable. I'm going to put some effort into building a 224 that doesn't sound like a cement mixer full of cutlery :lol:

Listening to your bike is good, it'll tell you a lot about its condition, just like any other machine it can talk to you if you only listen.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Northwind wrote:
    I'm going to put some effort into building a 224 that doesn't sound like a cement mixer full of cutlery :lol:
    Good luck :wink:

I'd fill the swingarm with expanding foam personally, if possible.
  • Northwind
    Yep, that'll muffle it a bit and hopefully stop the hoses rattling in the arm too... No More Big Gaps :)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Northwind wrote:
    I'm going to put some effort into building a 224 that doesn't sound like a cement mixer full of cutlery :lol:
    Good luck :wink:

I'd fill the swingarm with expanding foam personally, if possible.

I did hear of someone filling their chain stays with expanding foam in an attempt to get rid of the Orange standard sack of spanners noise. It expanded a bit too much and split the chain stay.
  • Northwind
    Ace :lol: I'll give it my best shot.
    Uncompromising extremist