airnimals - doomed to extinction?

rgisme
rgisme Posts: 1,598
edited May 2013 in Commuting general
Not sure if this is the most appropriate forum for this question, but there seems at least half a chance that some of you on here use an airnimal for commuting. The reason for my question/comment as the subject of the topic is that 24" wheels seem extraordinarily hard to come by, rim brakes eat wheels or at least rims eventually, airnimals use 24" wheels therefore at some point in their life wheels could become hard or impossible to replace. A bike without wheels won't go anywhere, so....

Or where do you get your wheels from? I mean decent, lightweight, good quality road wheels, not kids bike wheels, bmx, stunt or 'dirt jumper' type wheels. Surely airnimal can't be the only supplier and even if they were their supplies will dry up if rim manufacturers aren't making them for other bike manufacturers too. And yet having looked very hard on the web I can find no UK sources of wheels built with 520 rims, for example, not to speak of 'choices', just not even a single 'choice'. Not even on the all-pervasive sells-virtually-everything ebay.

I'm interested because apart from this, the airnimal seems a very appealing concept for a folding bike, which I would like to get.

Comments

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    How about one of the models with disc brakes?
  • rgisme
    rgisme Posts: 1,598
    Have thought about that, if I got one that's probably what I would do - but I just don't feel comfortable about buying a bike that seems to have zero after-market supply of wheels, apart from going back to the original manufacturer.

Pity, because otherwise the concept seems good.
  • whitecot
    whitecot Posts: 10
    Velocity Aerohead 24 inch (520) Black 36H Rim is available from http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk