Road tyres on a CX bike.

differentstrokes87
differentstrokes87 Posts: 140
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Will putting some road tyres on my CX bike make for a sufficient ride?

I know some might suggest another wheelset but due to funds that's out of the question, for now.
Planet X XLS 2013
Planet X London Road 2015

Comments

• yeah it will make it 99% as quick as a road bike. I no longer own a road bike just 2 cross bikes because of versatility. I run 25 or 28c tyres on my cross bikes all the time for road riding.
  • Thanks, had an email from Planet X to say my bike will be being built on Wednesday.

Which tyres do you run?
    Planet X XLS 2013
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I also use road tyres on my cross for commuting - conti gp 4season are my tyre of choice, but I'm currently wearing out some older road tyres so I can chuck them out.
  • I currently use 28c conti gatorskins. I find 28c tyres still allow some riding on canal tracks etc. If you wanted a quicker tyre the gp4 season or gp4000 in 25c would be a good choice.
  • Thanks, had an email from Planet X to say my bike will be being built on Wednesday.

Which tyres do you run?

Are you getting an Uncle John? Very good bike, i love mine...rides really well on the road.
  • Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

I ordered an XLS.
    Planet X XLS 2013
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    My CX race bike is as light as my road race bike and wears skinny tyres in summer. I was down riding around the Quantocks on my CX and passed a bunch of guys pushing their MTBs up a hill, whilst I rode past on Conti GP4 Seasons.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • logie48
    logie48 Posts: 30
    Conti GP4's seem to be the tyre of choice. I run them on my CX, size 25's. They are not cheap right enough.
  • logie48 wrote:
    Conti GP4's seem to be the tyre of choice. I run them on my CX, size 25's. They are not cheap right enough.

Ordered a set of 25s last night.
    Planet X XLS 2013
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    2 CX bikes and both have been shod with the GP 4 Seasons (28c)

Light trail is never a problem and if I want to go more off road I just swap one set with some Vittoria CX ones
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    It will be just as quick as a road bike. The difference will be the handling - due to the higher bottom bracket and longer wheelbase, in additional you'd probably want a slightly different position to your usual road one for cx (assuming you intend to take it offroad).
    Also, if it has a cx chainset (46/36), you may find it slightly undergeared
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    dawebbo wrote:
    It will be just as quick as a road bike. The difference will be the handling - due to the higher bottom bracket and longer wheelbase, in additional you'd probably want a slightly different position to your usual road one for cx (assuming you intend to take it offroad).
    Also, if it has a cx chainset (46/36), you may find it slightly undergeared

My CX has a longer wheel base but shorter top tube than my road bike (same brand same size) - it's shorter by 1" ... so on the CX I'm sat up more ... Not that it makes noticeable differences to me ... other than when I got back on the roadie after 3 months off it - the reach felt miles further!
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I use a Genesis vapour CX bike with road tyres (Schwalbe Durano 28 mm) and full guards as a winter bike. it is slower than my roadie, but then it is considerably heavier and cheaper than the road bike and has very heavy bombproof wheels. It's horrible for climbing, but then that's good training for summer.

I would imagine if I put light wheels on it then the climbing would be better, but that defeats the object of having a sturdy go anywhere winter bike.