Shorts or tights?

rusty_nail
rusty_nail Posts: 42
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
I'm looking at getting my 1st pair of bibs and wondered whether I should opt for tights, shorts or 3/4s? This time of year would I need tights, or would 3/4s be ok? If i got tights now would they be too warm in a couple of weeks? And how soon would people bring out the shorts? I know I could get shorts and leg warmers, but I don't mind buying a cooler pair in the spring/summer months. Do people use 3/4s or just have a shorts/tights combo in their wardrobe? Thanks!

Comments

• u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    Take a look at maybe getting some normal bib shorts then buying leg warmers or knee warmers also. Very good alternative when weather is changeable or if you can only have one set of bottoms :)
  • MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    I wear padded bib shorts, with unpadded tights. I would think a lot of others do this too, it's the cheapest way around getting an all weather cycling wardrobe! :lol:
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    I've been using 3/4s all this winter. Shorts and knee or leg warmers is a good shout though.
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    MattyyP wrote:
    I wear padded bib shorts, with unpadded tights. I would think a lot of others do this too, it's the cheapest way around getting an all weather cycling wardrobe! :lol:
    Same here, but I'm a wuss and have thermal leggings on as well :D
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I've been wearing bib tights for the last few months. Any more than one layer and I'd roast but it hasn't been shorts weather for a depressingly long time.

Since Spring is on the way though, your best bet would be shorts and leg warmers because it's not that cold at the moment and, with any luck, it will be warmer any day now.
  • Full length tights are best for this time of year, but I will second the unpadded option; it's what I use. If I had money I would almost certainly go for padded tights, but unpadded ones on top of shorts work perfectly well.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You can get shorts made in a fleecy-backed roubaix material from the likes of DHB, Northwave, Castelli and Santini amongst others - get some matching legwarmers and kneewarmers and you'll have most seasons covered. For deep winter, nothing beats a pair of decent padded bid tights - shorts under tights is far more restrictive IME.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Teece
    Teece Posts: 138
    This one of those things that's personal to the rider.
    I wear shorts all year round!
  • Thanks for all the replies, think I'm going to get some DHB shorts so I'll need some leg warmers this time of year, any recommendations?
  • u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    DHBs good for both the warmers and shorts. Roubaix are hte fleecy ones and the pace or what ever they now call them are just lycra ones :)
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I haven't worn leg warmers for ages, the shins don't seem to feel the cold, so it's either cold enough for bib longs (for me below 8 deg C), warm enough for bib shorts (for me above 16 deg C), or somewhere in between which means shorts and knee warmers.

Good shorts, knee warmers and leg warmers gives you all possible combinations. DHB Roubaix are a good choice.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm currently using DHB Vaeon Zero bib tights (padded) with leg warmers, and they're only just warm enough! Another benefit of using unpadded bib tights with padded bib shorts is that you get 2 layers of material on your thighs for extra warmth so I'll be going this way in future.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • MattyyP wrote:

Same here (plus a thin pair of merino wool thermals for when it was snowing and windy).

Don't forget overshoes - amazing how much crud it keeps off your feet
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    MattyyP wrote:
    quoted for truth. muddy fox shorts at 7.99 and karrimor legggings!
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Before getting a pair of padded bibs I bought leggings from Primark, black and blue, for £3 a pair. I tried the 3/4 ones ok but the full length ones better because if it's warmer to start I would fold the calf up. Then if it got colder on the hills I could lower them. I use padded shorts with the leggings. At times the leggings get mucky from off road rides but having a few pairs at that price I can always have some clean ones. Because Sportsdirect took over JBB stock I was able to get the bibs for about £12 which are pretty good.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.